Is this cuckoo maran a chick or a dude?

birdiepearl

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 17, 2013
Minnesota
Alright - this is getting a little stressful!

I got 3 RIRs in July. 2 out of 3 turned out to be roos.

Got some replacements from a trusted friend. Now have 4 different girls: RIR, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Australorp, and Cuckoo Maran.

My husband declared today that Cuckoo Maran is a dude. CM is bigger than all the rest. CM is the dominant bird in flock. CM has thick legs and an increasingly ginormous comb and wattles. CM blocks the chicken porch entrance at times. CM is usually the last to go to roost. No eggs from any of them yet....RIR is 18 weeks and the others are at least 21 weeks.

Help. Please. If this chick is a dude, I can't keep her. But she looks soooo cool! And runs SOOOO funny! Ahh, chickens, why have you gripped my heart so....

Thanks.
More close ups coming tomorrow.
I'm just coming to grips with the mere suggestion that she is a he. These pics are all I've got.

I'm leaning toward rooster, but really need a better pic. I'm also questioning the age--how sure are you on that? None of those birds look near that old to me.

I'm leaning toward rooster, but really need a better pic. I'm also questioning the age--how sure are you on that? None of those birds look near that old to me.
The age looks way off. Looks more like 12-14 weeks to me - all of them.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom