Is this dry skin? Or what?

Could be from an injury, it's really hard to tell, there's a darker spot that almost looks like a scab.
Show more photos of their birds and overall condition.

Check them over for lice/mites.
Provide them with good loose dirt for dust bathing.
I would be tempted to just watch that area close and leave it untreated at this time since I would suspect moisture from ointments/oil under the wing may actually do more harm than good.

How old are these birds? They may benefit from 18-20% chick starter or all flock feed and poultry vitamins once a week as well.

Could be from an injury, it's really hard to tell, there's a darker spot that almost looks like a scab.
Show more photos of their birds and overall condition.

Check them over for lice/mites.
Provide them with good loose dirt for dust bathing.
I would be tempted to just watch that area close and leave it untreated at this time since I would suspect moisture from ointments/oil under the wing may actually do more harm than good.

How old are these birds? They may benefit from 18-20% chick starter or all flock feed and poultry vitamins once a week as well.
I will grab some more photos of the ones I have. The place they came from was a complete chicken HELL. Looking back at the photos that were sent to my husband, I didn’t see a food bowl in any of the cages, so I’m not sure if they were only fed scratch or just had their food tossed in, there were only water bowls. Disgusting water in their bowls at that. They stood in their own mess in the cages so I’m not sure if that has any thing to do with this.
I found mites when we first got them, so they’ve been under treatment for that. I also already provided a dust bath for them, they’ve been using it a lot. Another ✅ for vitamins in water.
I was told they are 4 months old. One of the cockerels just started crowing the other day. Is Game Bird crumble okay to feed them? I was told it would help with one of the cockerels feather growth for his bottom.

You wouldn't have happened to spray them with anything recently did you? I was treating my hens for mites, and didn't dilute the permthrein. I gave them terrible chemical burn, and infection, that looked like that excepted their was a grey mucous.

Your babies are adorable. I also have silkies and dry skin came up with one of my pullets around 2 months old. I’ve gave them since birth. Anyway, I tried Vet RX which is diluted essential oil on her scalp and wiped off with a towel. Did seem to help her shed that dry skin. I also mixed Feather Fixer 50/50 with their food, to me that’s been the best thing to help her skin. Best of luck
Thank you! 😊 It might be a Silkie thing then...since they have different feather texture or something. It’s only the Silkie mixes (except the sizzles) that are having the dry skin issue. I will check that out though. Thanks for the input!

The directions say dilute 1.28 oz per gallon of water , I used a 5 gallon bucket & only put 2 oz in. I used the durvet brand but looks like it contains petroleum distillate. God I hate when I research the life out of something before using it but always miss that one little important detail. 🤦🏻‍♀️
This is exactly what happened to me! To treat him, use a soft cloth to wipe off the yellow crust. Then spray with Vettryicn once or twice daily. I treated they way and babies were treated and good within the week!

The directions say dilute 1.28 oz per gallon of water , I used a 5 gallon bucket & only put 2 oz in. I used the durvet brand but looks like it contains petroleum distillate. God I hate when I research the life out of something before using it but always miss that one little important detail. 🤦🏻‍♀️
I always fail to do my research! I sprayed 2 times without diluting before I looked at the label to look at what the smell wa about. I FREAKED when I realized it had gasoline in it, and I hadn't diluted! You are way better off then me! Your babies will be fine, you got this!

Back
Top Bottom