Is this duck okay?

Just giving a little update because it's been a few weeks. I haven't had to treat her or anything since the last posts, she seems to be completely healed up great! Her tail feathers are almost completely grown back. She has also gotten noticeably bigger which is awesome! Just from the pictures I'm attaching you can see how much better she looks. She has been getting along with the other ducks much better too! None of them are really harassing her at all anymore, and she has started to come up with the other girls to eat treats out of my hand, and she also follows me around the yard with the other girls instead of just avoiding me :D

Overall she is doing great!
Soon Karen will be attacking your feet, too. 😉

So the girls have been pretty good with Karen, Karen is still definitely at the bottom of the pecking order but she's doing very well. The last 2 days Penguin has decided to start harassing her again in the morning, it seems to only be for a few minutes in the morning when they first see her and then they are fine for the rest of the day.
I still have Puffin/Karen and Penguin/Pigeon in separate coops, I was planning on trying to move them all to the main coop again but then Karen started laying so I don't want to disturb her laying cycle by changing her housing, I will wait until she's done laying to try again. I'm thinking maybe the reason penguin likes to harass her in the morning is probably because she hasn't seen her all night and just feels like she needs to make sure Karen knows she is the boss. Puffin still generally splits them up any time Penguin is harassing Karen, because Puffin is dominant over Penguin. Puffin was just in my lap during that video. I would still like to eventually get them all into the main coop, so if anybody can offer any advice that would help me in getting Karen and Penguin to peacefully share the same coop, it could be very helpful.

So the girls have been pretty good with Karen, Karen is still definitely at the bottom of the pecking order but she's doing very well. The last 2 days Penguin has decided to start harassing her again in the morning, it seems to only be for a few minutes in the morning when they first see her and then they are fine for the rest of the day.
I still have Puffin/Karen and Penguin/Pigeon in separate coops, I was planning on trying to move them all to the main coop again but then Karen started laying so I don't want to disturb her laying cycle by changing her housing, I will wait until she's done laying to try again. I'm thinking maybe the reason penguin likes to harass her in the morning is probably because she hasn't seen her all night and just feels like she needs to make sure Karen knows she is the boss. Puffin still generally splits them up any time Penguin is harassing Karen, because Puffin is dominant over Penguin. Puffin was just in my lap during that video. I would still like to eventually get them all into the main coop, so if anybody can offer any advice that would help me in getting Karen and Penguin to peacefully share the same coop, it could be very helpful.
I love your ducks.

I'm sorry I don't have any recommendations. I don't have the best luck at getting mine to get along. Maybe with time they'll adjust and realize that Karen isn't going anywhere so they should just stop it.

Whether I feel sorry for the duck at the bottom of the pecking order I remember that someone has to be at the bottom!

I am seeing this too @SolarDuck these Muscovy girls can be so catty. Not only is one going after another I have one also going after some of my LF hens. From all I can say with living with these girls for quite a few years it's just natural by product of these Muscovy and watch how the others get so excited by it. I even have seen my Runner females getting after each other. I haven't seen anyone hurt but if they keep it up after time for bed where one can't actually get away from the one being a bully then the bully gets to spend a night alone in another coop.

I am seeing this too @SolarDuck these Muscovy girls can be so catty. Not only is one going after another I have one also going after some of my LF hens. From all I can say with living with these girls for quite a few years it's just natural by product of these Muscovy and watch how the others get so excited by it. I even have seen my Runner females getting after each other. I haven't seen anyone hurt but if they keep it up after time for bed where one can't actually get away from the one being a bully then the bully gets to spend a night alone in another coop.
That's definitely a good idea!! I'd feel bad putting penguin alone in a coop but she is always the bully, and both of the other ducks are dominant over her so she can only bully Karen. Last time I tried with them all in the same coop I heard them pretty late at night when I went out to break it up and separate them, but when I went out there penguin was basically doing the exact same thing she is doing in the video I posted, just Karen couldn't escape. I'll definitely try that if it happens again once Karen is done laying.

I don't like to separate them either but to my surprise it did help. I've only had to do it 2X and not in the same year.d not in the same year. If Dolly keeps it up she may go in solitarty confinement for a night soon. . When they bully each other outside the one getting picked on can usually avoid or get away but when they are closed up for the night that isn't fair.

So.... unexpected, but I think Karen might be top duck now? Not exactly sure how pecking orders work, but Pigeon just went into Karen's coop to say hi, and Karen was not a fan she chased out Pigeon and got into a little scuffle with her, and in the end Karen definitely won. Hopefully she will start to stand up for herself when Penguin bullies her now. I'm very proud of her for standing up for herself!

So.... unexpected, but I think Karen might be top duck now? Not exactly sure how pecking orders work, but Pigeon just went into Karen's coop to say hi, and Karen was not a fan she chased out Pigeon and got into a little scuffle with her, and in the end Karen definitely won. Hopefully she will start to stand up for herself when Penguin bullies her now. I'm very proud of her for standing up for herself!
Oh my!! That was quite the scuffle! Go Karen! I wish Nettle would do that when Thimbleberry is a jerk. Instead she's like, "yes, you are right I was completely out of line drinking that water. I'll go stand 10 feet over there."

Back
Top Bottom