Is this leg mites? or old age

shellyrose

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 3, 2011
Not sure if this is REALLY bad leg mites or old age. Feeling really bad beacause I think it is mites...Not all my chooks are friendly, is there any option other than the vaseline method?

108324_p1090260.jpg

OK. Thanks. I have a 3 day chick too should I put some vaseline on it legs too? or wait till its a bit bigger?

yep that is a dandy case of scaley mites. They can be very serious if you don't nip it in the bud, ie. lameness, infection, death.

Smother the mites with vaseline, vicks, mineral oil, vet rx. Do it every day until the leg improves then do it again every few days for any unhatched eggs hanging around.

Good Luck.

Looks like scaly leg to me!

I dip scaly leg mites in mineral oil daily for two weeks (toward the end I do it every other day) and it works well. Just get a little plastic cup and keep it filled with oil. I do it as they come out of the coop.

I have cured a total of four chickens this way (two batches) that I had bought from two places. The scales will go back down if not severe. The oil smothers them.

Be aware that I have read that the scaly leg mite can attack the face too, so I recommend dusting your chickens also as this states: (but don't dust their eyes and nose, mouth)
http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

Last edited:
i rescued some chickens with leg mites so bad the toes were dying and falling off and one of the hens had them on her head. I wiped her head with the oil and all her feathers and some skin came off on the paper towel! I dipped their legs in vegetable oil but any kind will do. I also put ivomec pour on on the hen with them on her head just in case.
sharon

Back
Top Bottom