Is this little chick a boy or girl???

Peppercorngal

Crowing
6 Years
Feb 5, 2018
Feather Falls, CA
I have heard (and found to be true) that red feathers on the upper wings means it's a boy. Do you think this is going to be a rooster? Here are 2 photos. One is 2 days old, the other was today, one month old. I'm praying for a girl and named her Ginger.

ginger 1 day old.jpg

ginger 1 month.jpg

I wing feather sex all chicks I raise, & have been pretty accurate with it. The 2 day old chick looks like a girl, the colors are bright, & legs are skinny, not fat like a baby roos would be.

Wing sexing is not reliable, unless specifically bred for it.

This chick does look cockerelish, with how bright that comb is. I'd get more pics, and give it some time. Is it an EE?
And to answer the original question, yes rust red on the wings usually indicates cockerel. If you can catch it without upsetting Momma too much, I'd get some close up pics... Or again, wait. 8 weeks is usually the most reliable time.

Wing sexing is not reliable, unless specifically bred for it.

This chick does look cockerelish, with how bright that comb is. I'd get more pics, and give it some time. Is it an EE?
And to answer the original question, yes rust red on the wings usually indicates cockerel. If you can catch it without upsetting Momma too much, I'd get some close up pics... Or again, wait. 8 weeks is usually the most reliable time.
Ok, she is only 4 weeks now. I noticed the red comb myself, causing concern along with the red feathers. I have no idea what breed. I know for sure that Harvey, my Jersey Giant Rooster is not the father. It could be from Bill or Greybeard who are Welsummer/Americana mixes. Hen could have been anything from jersey giant (black) to barred rock, or Delaware or production red! I know it is NOT from my EE, the egg was brown not blue or green. It's a mystery. I'll post photos again in another month. Mama Maggie is very tame and lets me get very close, it's the chick that is freakish! Thanks!
This is Bill:

Bill Oct 10.jpg

This is greybeard:
greybeard.jpg
:frow

Back
Top Bottom