Is this normal poop?

Joecarbs

Chirping
Jan 11, 2018
Québec
hi, my pullets are about 16 weeks.
I’ve noticed some red coloration in some of the droppings. Also some caramel looking dropings.
They mostly eat pellets and fermented grain. I also gave them some tomatoes a few days ago can the red coloration be from tomatoes?
Thanks
23D68CD7-1DFF-4D4B-B070-35E16ED4960E.jpeg
338E277B-9404-43AA-A511-39AE2A491E92.jpeg 237D48F8-ACE5-4027-89B5-B166A39F7715.jpeg 5399C70C-A921-4FEC-80E6-9B45B2CF2D70.jpeg

Chicken poop will pick up its color and consistency from the things a chicken eats, so poop varies a lot. Reddish matter in poop can be from the tomatoes and it can also be shed intestinal lining, both of no concern.

While monitoring poop from day to day is a wise practice to alert yourself to developing problems, just as important is monitoring behavior. A healthy, happy chicken is vocal, active, has a good appetite, bright eyes that indicate alertness and curiosity.

The opposite is true of a sick chicken. They are mute, inactive, hanging out on the edges of the flock with tail held low and flat, and the poop may be watery and clear with white mucous or greenish and runny. Of special concern would be blood in the poop along with lethargic behavior.

Chicken poop will pick up its color and consistency from the things a chicken eats, so poop varies a lot. Reddish matter in poop can be from the tomatoes and it can also be shed intestinal lining, both of no concern.

While monitoring poop from day to day is a wise practice to alert yourself to developing problems, just as important is monitoring behavior. A healthy, happy chicken is vocal, active, has a good appetite, bright eyes that indicate alertness and curiosity.

The opposite is true of a sick chicken. They are mute, inactive, hanging out on the edges of the flock with tail held low and flat, and the poop may be watery and clear with white mucous or greenish and runny. Of special concern would be blood in the poop along with lethargic behavior.
Thanks good to know!

Back
Top Bottom