Is this normal? Scraggly little silkie bubs.

That sounds fishy to me. :( Did you verify that he was an authentic Silkie breeder? If not, you wouldn't know if you were getting pure standard silkies.

I think both of us wanted to get this kind of ultra-fluffy silkie, aka the bearded silkie:
xfancy-poultry-silky-chicken.jpg.pagespeed.ic.WDsnFKRScp.jpg

...which would have looked this fluffy as a chick(also like shown in the picture sent by Little Chicken Girl earlier):
OIP.jpeg

Sadly, they may very well be non-bearded silkies and will end up looking like this as a full grown chicken:
hredirect2 (1).jpeg

Hence our chickies look like this right now:

hredirect2.jpeg

Still very cute though, just not as fluffy as a standard. :D

I’d love to see them!! Where do you live?
I live in the US, so it's about 1 AM where I live. I will share my silkie photos with you tomorrow morning as soon as I'm up ^^ I'm just as curious as you abt what these bubs will look like as they get older, hoping that they're as fluffy and cuddly as they should be! 😪😭

I believe all silkies do go through a ugly scraggly stage and molt feathers at least three times with all sorts of odd feathers coming out of them, but I'm crossing my fingers that they'll turn out to be beautiful poofballs like people say they will.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help! I was hoping for pure silkies because the guy (after promising $10 each) made us pay $20 per chick 😔🥺😓

I love them just as much, but I was hoping for extremely fluffy, standard silkies. I was wondering why they didn’t look as fluffy. It sounds to me like they are technically “pure silkies”, but not great quality.

I’m not showing them or anything, they are pets. I hope they’ll still be fluffy tho :<

Will they be fluffy still??? I don’t need them to be fancy, but fluffy is nice.

😔😔😔🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺

Sorrry for all the emojis ;(
That sounds like a rip off to me. Although judging by how your silkies look right now they seem to still have the silk feathers so far it looks like they are going to still be poofy and fluffy if that makes you any happier. :confused:

Omg same ;-;

I received my silkies in a mystery assortment and they seem scraggly at the moment as well. I just really really hope they'll be fluff and cuddly, not some flat looking fakes...
Yours should also turn out fluffy, all chickens especially silkies have an awkward stage but because silkies have unusual silk like feathers that stage is extra interesting. Hopefully your silkies are just in that stage and will grow up to be nice and fluffy which they most likely will.

Hi! I have 4 little silkie chicks (3-4 weeks)

I don’t think the guy I got them from was a registered breeder, but he had a serious amount of chickens. I got 3 other chicks too.

So, I’ve had them 2-3 weeks, they all seem happy and healthy so far, but when I look up silkie chicks, they are perfect fluff balls. Mine are very scraggly. I’m pretty sure they are healthy, Is this just because all the pictures are of a newborn silky chicks? Is that why they look so perfect and they have no sort of wing feathers things going on? Also I’ve noticed all of my chicks, on top of their tiny crop which is on their chest, just a tiny bit scraggly there, it’s very hard to describe, almost like a couple of the tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny feathers are little bit dried out or dirty. I’m not sure if chicks are meant to have that. I’ll try to send some photos soon. I’m guessing this is just because they’re in an awkward stage of fathering, but I haven’t seen pictures of sillkie chicks with the little wing feathers before. Most of their wings are weird, scraggly, with almost rolled-up looking feathers. Will they become fluffy like in the pictures? While none of their combs are formed, they definitely look like walnut combs, they have dark skin, five toes, little feathers on their feet and other silkie characteristics. I think they are pure bred. They are also all mixed colours, apart from one tiny little black one. I don’t know at all what they’ll look like when they grow, up it’s very hard to find photos of silkies that aren’t just one colour. If anyone has any or knows any pictures they can show me that would be greatly appreciated !!!

Sorry for the bad grammar, I am using a tiny keyboard and can’t bother to fix my mistakes 😂

I will try to send some more photos of the other little nuggets.

View attachment 2286901View attachment 2286902Don’t worry, she’s not dead, just sleepy 😂 View attachment 2286903
I also notice she doesnt haveblue ear lobes. This is a question Ive asked the breeder I purchased from. According to her unless they are for show its ok. But IDK. I am new to this.

I also notice she doesnt haveblue ear lobes. This is a question Ive asked the breeder I purchased from. According to her unless they are for show its ok. But IDK. I am new to this.
I believe the blue earlobes aren't fully visible and enlarged until they are at least 9 weeks and older - I haven't seen a silkie born with bright visible blue earlobes yet. :D

Back
Top Bottom