Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HeatherTheMommy, Oct 13, 2015.

1. HeatherTheMommy

HeatherTheMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2015
    Felton DE
    Im totally new to chickens and some of my hens just began to lay. Is this normal? I found a blood spot in the yolk of one. We had a rooster but rehomed him about a month ago. Is this a ferrilized egg????[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    A blood spot isn't a fertile egg. It is just when a blood vessel ruptures in the infundibulum or magnum of the reproductive tract. It happens from time to time.

A sign of a fertile egg is when the little white dot on the yolk (blastodisc) becomes a halo (blastoderm)
    http://www.edencsd.org/Page/1496

You don't see blood spots in store eggs any more because the automated sorting candles and rejects them.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  3. Lozuufy

Lozuufy Pigeons are nutty Premium Member

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
  4. HeatherTheMommy

HeatherTheMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2015
    Felton DE
    Ive read that continous lighting can cause it? I do have a red light in my coop at night that comes on at 7pm. If i dont put it on they dont go into the coop. Should i turn it off once everyone is in the coop?

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I never heard that but continuous light is a problem. They need a light/dark cycle just like all animals. Yes, turn the light off once they're inside. After a few days they should go in without a light.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by