Is this normal?

ErikaRI

Chirping
May 20, 2017
So, I took advantage of some sun and brought our 4 chicks (about 3 weeks old) outside today, and put them in the run while I cleaned their brooder. They didn't know what to do at first but then got busy pecking around, flapping their wings, etc.

Anyway, my golden-laced Wyandotte started nestling herself into the ground and just hanging out. Fine, np. But then my silver-laced started doing the same thing—but then she leaned over to one side and sort of lifted up one wing. She stayed there for a moment, then straightened up and did the same thing on her other side. It looked for all the world like she was sunning her belly.

Is this normal? I never saw my last batch do this. It was sort of freaky, but she seems totally fine otherwise. She then got up and went back to pecking at the ground...

Photo, just because...

Attachments

• IMG_3779.JPG
    IMG_3779.JPG
    936.8 KB · Views: 14
the chick on the right at front is a wee cockerel! xx (all the same age, right?)
We think they're all the same age. The woman we got them from said they were 2 weeks old, so they should be about 25 days by now. But they seemed small, so I'm taking a few days off and assuming her breeder sent her a range.

And crap, how do you know? One is definitely a bit larger. That's one of the Wyandottes that you pointed out, but I can't quite tell which one. Of course, we can't have roosters here...

Back
Top Bottom