Is this okay to feed to the chickens?

Farmgal101

Crowing
May 29, 2017
Thinking about growing some oat wheat grass and sunflowers for there seeds.To feed chickens I’m getting in the future.They would also be getting some scraps of pumpkins and winter squash I want to grow.until then would oat wheat grass and sunflower seeds be good enough to feed them?

Thinking about growing some oat wheat grass and sunflowers for there seeds.To feed chickens I’m getting in the future.They would also be getting some scraps of pumpkins and winter squash I want to grow.until then would oat wheat grass and sunflower seeds be good enough to feed them?
As treats, of course! They would be lucky chickens!

There has been a book written on this very subject. I have it and it is very informative. https://www.amazon.com/Small-Scale-...ds=gene+logsdon&qid=1593980284&s=books&sr=1-3
Thanks for suggestion!might have to look into it.just found this recipe for chicken feed want to do something similar minus the corn Bc we live in a hot area so might be good to save the corn more for winter to keep them warmer.Other then that I’m wondering if it would be enough nutrients for them and keep the other things like sunflower seeds and squash and pumpkins as a treat.

Attachments

• 9DDFA661-8F61-471E-84F2-6CF6588C759D.png
    9DDFA661-8F61-471E-84F2-6CF6588C759D.png
    368.2 KB · Views: 8
Thanks for suggestion!might have to look into it.just found this recipe for chicken feed want to do something similar minus the corn Bc we live in a hot area so might be good to save the corn more for winter to keep them warmer.Other then that I’m wondering if it would be enough nutrients for them and keep the other things like sunflower seeds and squash and pumpkins as a treat.
I know a member on here who is much more into feed mixes, @rjohns39 might be able to answer your question better than I.

I just buy my food and limit the treats to ~ 10% or less. 26 chicks will have a nice snack on 1 tsp of millet. Larger birds like safflower seeds. Full grown love sunflower seeds, but they are very fattening. ;)

I know a member on here who is much more into feed mixes, @rjohns39 might be able to answer your question better than I.
I just buy my food and limit the treats to ~ 10% or less. 26 chicks will have a nice snack on 1 tsp of millet. Larger birds like safflower seeds. Full grown love sunflower seeds, but they are very fattening. ;)
Thank you Also would add diatomaceous earth and oyster shell.want to do everything right not rush into anything very excited though!!I’m thinking of getting a flock of barred rocks already full grown and laying.used to have chickens before a tornado came through and we lost all of them.

Thank you Also would add diatomaceous earth and oyster shell.want to do everything right not rush into anything very excited though!!I’m thinking of getting a flock of barred rocks already full grown and laying.used to have chickens before a tornado came through and we lost all of them.
I just got back into keeping chickens after many years of living places we could not have them, so I understand how you feel! I just got some chicks, that way I know how they were raised and that they came from a disease-free place. Takes more time, but healthy chickens are worth waiting for. I have waited over 20 years! I got some nice chicks from the above mentioned member. Barred Hollands. He sent 26 when I ordered 25, all lived.
IMG_4688.JPG

Just arrived in this photo -- 3 days old.

Back
Top Bottom