Is this pendulous crop?

rumbleBee_STi

Songster
Jun 10, 2020
Sylva, North Carolina
How I wish I could post my Live Photo’s on here & they actually be live!!! I have another post questioning this little guys crop. A very helpful member gave some great advice & made me feel little more relaxed about it. But I keep getting this same, nagging feeling in my gut that something isn’t right. Chicks will eat & eat & eat, & will end up with HUGE crops. But...this little guys crop just doesn’t look right to me! It’s large, mushy, & it dangles when full. I feel like it hangs too low for comfort. When it’s empty it does tend to flatten out a bit, but I can still see it. He’s only a 4 week old Easter Egger & I want to get out in front of this before it starts to affect his health. He’s very active, & always runs over to the cage door to perch on the edge as soon as I open it.
031AE360-C3E4-452D-9D53-071CD4A63BCA.jpeg
6CFEB363-CB4F-48A1-9171-D48D759FFD57.jpeg
B4D99CED-DC54-464D-AC5E-594D00254A65.jpeg
C1B32A2A-1D81-40A2-A13D-E343F6DCEFC4.jpeg
F75729E1-8340-4F06-A6AE-F86AAB95D16F.jpeg

Pendulous crop isn't so much the size of the crop as it is failure to completely empty overnight due to the crop riding too low on the chest wall.

To determine if pendulous crop is an issue, withhold water and food after bedtime and do not feed until you check the crop. If it's flat and empty, there is no crop issue.

Here's more information on crop disorders. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Last edited:
Pendulous crop isn't so much the size of the crop as it is failure to completely empty overnight due to the crop riding too low on the chest wall.

To determine if pendulous crop is an issue, withhold water and food after bedtime and do not feed until you check the crop. If it's flat and empty, there is no crop issue.

Here's more information on crop disorders. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
I will try that. I took the food away for a few hours one night & it seemed like his crop had been emptied, but still didn’t seem “back to normal” like his flock mates. I will check out the link. I really hope he doesn’t have anything wrong with his crop. 😞

View attachment 2365980
This is my piglet I was telling you about. Yes, it’s all crop. Yes it’s rock hard.

Trust your gut. If something isn’t quite right, keep digging.
He’s adorable! I have a crazy 6th sense about things & if I don’t listen & look into whatever it is, it will be a constant tugging at my psyche. Every time I feel my chicks crop, it’s never hard, even when it’s full. It’s always squishy. He doesn’t act lethargic or anything, he’s very lively. I’ve been reading anything I can find about crop disorders, none of them seem to fit except maybe sour crop. :barnieI’m not gonna stop until I’m positive that, A)it’s nothing, that he’s just gonna live up to his name as “Boobie” or B)it’s some type of crop disorder.

Good. You are the one interacting daily with these little monsters. Hoping you get answers.

Good. You are the one interacting daily with these little monsters. Hoping you get answers.
Little monsters is right. I don’t remember my first flock being this noisy. I had to move them out of our bedroom because they were so loud. I also didn’t have a bunch of little boys my first time around with chicks either 🙃🙂🙃🙂Me too! I showed my husband what his crop looks like this morning but it was empty so it was a little hard for him to find it not knowing what to look or feel for. But since it’s actually emptying I’ll take that as a good sign. :fl

I have a similar situation with a seven-month-old I just posted about. What did you end up determining what’s the issue?

Back
Top Bottom