Is this poop normal?

Yard Hen Lady

Chirping
Oct 26, 2021
Wine Country CA
Wilma is about 18 months ( guessing age, she was mature when I got her from the feed store). Recently her poop has been very watery. I didnt pay too much mine to it at first, as it was pretty hot here. However, the weather has cooled over the past couple weeks, and her poops is unchanged. She I eating normally and acting normal. Her belly feels like a water balloon. She hasn’t laid an egg in about 5 months, but she was broody for about six weeks. When I couldn’t break her broody, I finally bought her chicks. That did the trick, but they are three months and she still isn‘t laying. I put Hen Boost in their water and their crumble is 16% protein. I‘ve cut back on their snacks the past couple weeks. The other four hens are fine. I’ve looked at SO many pictures of chicken poop online, but can seem to find anything that helps. The photo was taken today. We just had a bunch of rain here, so the ground is muddy. I watched her take the dump, and there was a bunch of clear water in it. Should I be worried?

Attachments

• 2BB794A3-353E-4B6B-9D7D-C8153B972AB5.jpeg
    2BB794A3-353E-4B6B-9D7D-C8153B972AB5.jpeg
    992.2 KB · Views: 12
Her belly feels like a water balloon. She hasn’t laid an egg in about 5 months
Welcome To BYC

Having a belly that feels like it has fluid in it is a symptom - Ascites. She's not laid eggs in 5 months, so the possibility of a reproductive disorder is pretty high. Cancer, tumors, EYP, Salpingitis, etc., can be common in laying hens.

IF she's having difficulty walking, not eating well, lethargic, etc. then draining the fluid may be an appropriate action.

You mention that the poop has looked like that for a while. Consider getting a fecal float to make sure worms and Coccidiosis are not part of the problem. Look her over for lice/mites too.

Welcome To BYC

Having a belly that feels like it has fluid in it is a symptom - Ascites. She's not laid eggs in 5 months, so the possibility of a reproductive disorder is pretty high. Cancer, tumors, EYP, Salpingitis, etc., can be common in laying hens.

IF she's having difficulty walking, not eating well, lethargic, etc. then draining the fluid may be an appropriate action.

You mention that the poop has looked like that for a while. Consider getting a fecal float to make sure worms and Coccidiosis are not part of the problem. Look her over for lice/mites too.
She is walking fine, still very active, eating and drinking normally. Her poop started to get some firmness for a few days, then we got a couple days of horrible storms, and her poop became runny again. I have checked it worms and her for mites/lice. Thank you for the information.

Wilma is about 18 months ( guessing age, she was mature when I got her from the feed store). Recently her poop has been very watery. I didnt pay too much mine to it at first, as it was pretty hot here. However, the weather has cooled over the past couple weeks, and her poops is unchanged. She I eating normally and acting normal. Her belly feels like a water balloon. She hasn’t laid an egg in about 5 months, but she was broody for about six weeks. When I couldn’t break her broody, I finally bought her chicks. That did the trick, but they are three months and she still isn‘t laying. I put Hen Boost in their water and their crumble is 16% protein. I‘ve cut back on their snacks the past couple weeks. The other four hens are fine. I’ve looked at SO many pictures of chicken poop online, but can seem to find anything that helps. The photo was taken today. We just had a bunch of rain here, so the ground is muddy. I watched her take the dump, and there was a bunch of clear water in it. Should I be worried?
To me it's not normal .. especially in a hen
Could be internal layer or Ecoli
A test of culture poop can be helpful if u can otherwise I would do a round course of antibiotics

She is walking fine, still very active, eating and drinking normally. Her poop started to get some firmness for a few days, then we got a couple days of horrible storms, and her poop became runny again. I have checked it worms and her for mites/lice. Thank you for the information.
So you had a fecal float to see if worms are an issue?
By the time you see physical worms in the poop, there's a heavy infestation.

To me it's not normal .. especially in a hen
Could be internal layer or Ecoli
A test of culture poop can be helpful if u can otherwise I would do a round course of antibiotics
I cant seem to find an antibiotic OTC, and I’ve called five vets and none see chickens. I know people say chickens can be give human grade antibiotics, but I don’t have any and I’ve asked everyone I know. I checked the flock again last night for mites and lice, and her belly was as full or squishy. Do you know of any OTC remedies that might help? I already put Hen Boost in their water.

When you say her belly feels like a water balloon, do you mean her lower belly between the legs, or her crop? Aqua Sol amoxicillin is found online, and some stores might still have Fish Mox on the shelves. Dosage of amoxicillin is 125-250 mg given orally twice a day for 10 days.

When you say her belly feels like a water balloon, do you mean her lower belly between the legs, or her crop? Aqua Sol amoxicillin is found online, and some stores might still have Fish Mox on the shelves. Dosage of amoxicillin is 125-250 mg given orally twice a day for 10 days.
Between her legs. It’s actually decreased in size and doesn’t feel as soft. And I think she laid an egg yesterday and today. My other laying hen, Betty, is molting, so she isn’t laying. I‘m not sure if the chicks are old enough to lay yet (just turned 4 months). So, I’m pretty sure the eggs are from her. 🤞🏻🤞🏻

Back
Top Bottom