Is this POX?

TXCHICKENFAMILY

Hatching
Mar 2, 2016
1 of my Golden Sex Links just developed these growths on her comb. Is this the POX? How serious is this? Will it spread? Can it be transferred to humans? How should I treat? I understand these are lots of questions so I can also do the research once I know what it is. We are new to chickens so obviously very concerned for our girl.

Welcome to BYC!

From the photos, it actually looks like she got in a skirmish or an overzealous rooster grabbed her comb when he tread her.

It could be pox, but she'd develop little black spots (like freckles) on her comb, face, and wattle. This looks a little too isolated to be pox.

If you want, you can rub a little antibiotic ointment on her and watch for bullying in the flock. If you see someone picking on someone else, a good ol' time out in a crate in the garage for a week does the trick. :)

Hope that helps!

MrsB

PS - Great job with the hardware cloth!

Last edited:
But to actually answer your questions...

Chickens get pox from mosquitos, and it is not human-contagious. It runs its course and usually travels through the flock before resolving on its own. :)

It's *literally* chicken pox!!

MrsB

Thanks so much for the feedback and advice. We don't have a rooster but I suppose one of the other hens could be pecking her. They have been a little stressed lately as we had a hawk hanging around the place. Perhaps that changed the dynamics of the group or lowered their resistance? We live in Central Texas so have a lot of mosquitoes, which I understand can spread the virus. Maybe I will try some Neosporin to be on the safe side.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom