1. TXCHICKENFAMILY

TXCHICKENFAMILY New Egg

Mar 2, 2016
    1 of my Golden Sex Links just developed these growths on her comb. Is this the POX? How serious is this? Will it spread? Can it be transferred to humans? How should I treat? I understand these are lots of questions so I can also do the research once I know what it is. We are new to chickens so obviously very concerned for our girl.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Welcome to BYC!

From the photos, it actually looks like she got in a skirmish or an overzealous rooster grabbed her comb when he tread her.

It could be pox, but she'd develop little black spots (like freckles) on her comb, face, and wattle. This looks a little too isolated to be pox.

If you want, you can rub a little antibiotic ointment on her and watch for bullying in the flock. If you see someone picking on someone else, a good ol' time out in a crate in the garage for a week does the trick. :)

Hope that helps!

MrsB

PS - Great job with the hardware cloth!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  3. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    But to actually answer your questions...

Chickens get pox from mosquitos, and it is not human-contagious. It runs its course and usually travels through the flock before resolving on its own. :)

It's *literally* chicken pox!!

MrsB

4. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    I agree with mrsbrooke

5. TXCHICKENFAMILY

TXCHICKENFAMILY New Egg

Mar 2, 2016
    Thanks so much for the feedback and advice. We don't have a rooster but I suppose one of the other hens could be pecking her. They have been a little stressed lately as we had a hawk hanging around the place. Perhaps that changed the dynamics of the group or lowered their resistance? We live in Central Texas so have a lot of mosquitoes, which I understand can spread the virus. Maybe I will try some Neosporin to be on the safe side.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  6. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    She should heal up just fine on her own. Most likely from a pecking order squabble or she got her head hung in something. It happens! :)

MrsB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by