Is this silkie a hen or roo?

matthewrbo

Chirping
Apr 23, 2023
I have a 9 month old silkie and I can figure out its gender. I have not heard it crow but I have a Brahma rooster that is dominant. I was wondering if someone could help me determine his/her gender? I attached photos.

Attachments

• IMG_0872.jpeg
    IMG_0872.jpeg
    405.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0869.jpeg
    IMG_0869.jpeg
    427.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0865.jpeg
    IMG_0865.jpeg
    559.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9223.jpeg
    IMG_9223.jpeg
    634.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9224.jpeg
    IMG_9224.jpeg
    586.7 KB · Views: 16

Silkies are really not my thing.

I have a 9 month old silkie and I can figure out its gender. I have not heard it crow but I have a Brahma rooster that is dominant. I was wondering if someone could help me determine his/her gender? I attached photos.

Do you know whether it is laying eggs or not?
Of course a bird that lays eggs is female, but depending on what other birds are in your flock you might not know about this specific one.

If you don't know, you can try penning it separately for a few days to see if it is laying. Or pen it with a known hen who lays a recognizable egg that a Silkie can't match, so this bird has company but you can still tell if it is laying.

Or you can try checking the butt.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/
Check some hens you know are laying, and check your Brahma rooster (because he is definitely not laying), and that will give a good idea of what you are looking for (appearance of vent) and feeling for (tips of two bones, below the vent and a bit to each side of center.)

Checking the butt is usually faster than penning up a bird to see if it is laying, but it's a little harder to explain how to do it :)

If it is not laying, you don't know anything more than you did before. But if it is laying, you know for sure it is a female.

I’d say you’ve a girl on your hands. I was thrown by our two silkie girls neck feathers and tails! Made me think they were male… was only as we also had a too that I could differentiate the combs as they grew. This is one of our silkies, Splat, at around 7 months for comparison.

Attachments

• IMG_4118.jpeg
    IMG_4118.jpeg
    832.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4117.jpeg
    IMG_4117.jpeg
    329.5 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom