Is your Roo really involved in the "hen's business" ?

Aneesa's Muse

Songster
11 Years
Jun 8, 2008
SF Bay Area
gig.gif
..umm, does your Roo sit in the nest with the actively laying hen?

Since my girls ..and maybe, boy.. have been eating eggs, I have been spending more time watching their behaviours.. a LOT more time. I've discovered that Weeze'r lays in the early morning ..and Ben sits in there WITH her the entire time ..LOL

At first, I was like "okay.. now I know who the culprit really is.. " ...but as soon as she popped up off the nest and started to announce it all to the world.. Ben stood up and basically ..and very promptly.. shoo'd her out of the nest and made his own announcement. He, then, scratched some hay over the egg and sat down on it.

I stood nearby ..without him really noticing my presence... and waited for him to do a "bad deed" ..but he stayed right there and kept that egg safe. Maybe? I dunno...

Of course, I didn't press my luck ..and went to retrieve my egg.
tongue.png
I couldn't wait around to see if he was accompanying PeeVee and Hannah for their "business" ..it was pouring hail and rain on me... but when I came back an hour or so later.. I found Ben sitting in the nest box with some hay between his fanny and the 2 eggs from my other girls. (They like to use the one box, rather than use the other boxes ..goofy girls)

Anyhoo... are any of your Roo's closely supervising the "hen business" like my boy is? I've never experienced this before ..and we had a LOT of chickens on our farm when I was growing up.

No my rooster does not do that.
but really I read alot of stories here about roosters and all thier duties and etc, but till now I still don't like roosters, I swear they anoy me especially when they get rough with the hens, today was cleaning the pullets house and my rooster(who knows) that it is not allowed for him to associate with my little pullets he sniked behind me and mounted one little pullet. I cought him and bit the hell out of him.(I might sound crazy) but i hate it he has many big hens for him alone,and he still not satesfide. on sunday I am going to kill him and eat him and no more roosters.

Omran

But what do you really think, Omran?

(just kidding - sorry your mean rooster is giving you such a hard time...I hope he makes a good Sunday stew!)

Nah, Thor doesn't get that involved in it. He waits outside the coop for the girls to get finished then starts to sing along with them when they start the egg song.
I once sat him on a nestbox, just to see what he would do. He squawked and ran out of the coop like his tail was on fire. He wants no part of it.
lol.png

My rooster Sunny used to do that. Eventually the hens kicked him off the nest, because they got broody. Two of them shared the nest. When the chicks hatched, he helped raise them. He was a very good daddy.

My roos do that ALOT! The really submissive hens will be laying and the roos that know they can get away with it keep 'em company. Of course, they're always crowing up a storm and the poor girls can't stand it.

Sometimes the boys will sleep in th nesting box with the hens. It's rediculous! The roos never roost and the non-broodies tend to sleep in the boxes anyway. It's really cute though, when I go to lock them up at night and I see my over-protective roos with their mates taking up EVERY NESTING BOX!!!!! They'll give me that look: 'So? What are you looking at?'
lol.png
Boys will be boys, I guess. Stand by their ladies.

My banty roo does that with his special girl sometimes. He stands between the hen and the door protecting her I guess.
Both of my boys will announce the egg laying is done. Usually all 15 hens and both roos will join in the singing. I'm sure my neighbors love me...

Back
Top Bottom