Isa's Homestead Happenings and Hangout

Until she gets an ostrich. It's gonna happen.
Maybe wrapped up in freezer bags.
A88DBA6E-32A7-4B96-AD35-FCBDEE4D42F8.gif

Tonight is my chickens' first test with negative teen temperatures, with the real feel forecasted to be about -40. I have done and am doing everything I can think of to get them through it. If they prove to be hardy enough to scamper out of their coop tomorrow with nothing wrong, I will go to work as usual. If anything is wrong, I am calling out to do my real job (being a chicken momma).

Usually, if I say such things, everything goes well and I look foolish for worrying. Hence why I am saying this. :fl
Yeah, dropping to -15 tonight. I hung a light blanket over the coop windows tonight to keep air circulating but block the wind a bit. Will take a 30 degree swing up to 15 tomorrow afternoon. Hope they huddle up in there tonight.
I've been selling out of eggs every week for the past 2 months. I have 3 people with weekly orders of 2 or 3 dozen. The girls are paying for themselves now. I'm adding 2 BCM pullets in spring. I didn't want to get more chickens, but Idk how long it will be before my 2nd generation of chickens will continue laying. My personal max is 20 females in the big coop. I'm at 15, so I can add a few more without issue. But I will have all the colors in my egg basket once I add them. If it goes well, I may add Welsummers next year. My previous Welsummer laid the most gorgeous speckled eggs, but she dies suddenly last year. :(

Here's one of the dozen I just sold. Dark brown will round it out nicely.
View attachment 3394424
Who lays what color eggs? That’s a pretty carton!

As far as white single comb layers, Andalusians can be light or dark blue. California Grey are barred but otherwise fit your wants. And our little farm Ancona (not light, but not completely black), is super friendly and sweet as pie.

Now this is wrong!
Apparently my neighbor thought it would be cool to put a pink tutu on her outside cat. (Mardi Gras?)
He is sitting at his normal hunting spot, under the limbs of the oak tree in my front yard.
He asked me, "How in the HE!L am I suppose to catch a squirrel with this thing on?"
View attachment 3394760
What is wrong with people?

Now this is wrong!
Apparently my neighbor thought it would be cool to put a pink tutu on her outside cat. (Mardi Gras?)
He is sitting at his normal hunting spot, under the limbs of the oak tree in my front yard.
He asked me, "How in the HE!L am I suppose to catch a squirrel with this thing on?"
View attachment 3394760
That's awful.
What's wrong with people.

Now this is wrong!
View attachment 3394760
Speaking of squirrels - There’s one over here eating a rotten pear by my wheelbarrow right now. Pass me the cat 🤣
324FAB2A-F05E-412D-A37D-719CD253D7A3.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom