ISO chicks or hens central Ohio

cnol

Songster
Oct 19, 2018
Hi everyone, we are looking for chicks or hens for eggs. Never had chickens but love what I've read about buff orpingtons, Wyandottes, or any common breed as long as they are kid friendly.

Anyone have any for sale?

Hi everyone, we are looking for chicks or hens for eggs. Never had chickens but love what I've read about buff orpingtons, Wyandottes, or any common breed as long as they are kid friendly.

Anyone have any for sale?
Where are you located exactly? Rural king still has chicks and that’s probably your best bet for sexed chicks.

Ou
Where are you located exactly? Rural king still has chicks and that’s probably your best bet for sexed chicks.
Our rural king didn't have any chicks when we went a few weeks ago but they still had the set up with the lights on??? I'll have to give them a call. Someone else told me not to get chicks this late in the year since winter is coming......

Ou

Our rural king didn't have any chicks when we went a few weeks ago but they still had the set up with the lights on??? I'll have to give them a call. Someone else told me not to get chicks this late in the year since winter is coming......
probably sold out for that batch. They had a ton when I went last weekend. I believe they usually get chicks on Wednesday. But call and check for sure.

Who? And why? They will be ready to lay by spring if you get them now. I have chicks in the brooder and just put more eggs in the incubator that will hatch next month. So I don’t really get why not. I mean sure it’s getting cold and they will probably need a bit more time and with heat but did they give you a reason why?

That's exac
probably sold out for that batch. They had a ton when I went last weekend. I believe they usually get chicks on Wednesday. But call and check for sure.

Who? And why? They will be ready to lay by spring if you get them now. I have chicks in the brooder and just put more eggs in the incubator that will hatch next month. So I don’t really get why not. I mean sure it’s getting cold and they will probably need a bit more time and with heat but did they give you a reason why?
Hello that is what I was thinking as far as spring laying. They said the chicks won't be able to acclimate to the cold. But what I read says they are fine once fully feathered?? Which would be about 6 weeks correct? Mid December or so if we get chicks now... It will be pretty cold then.

That's exac

Hello that is what I was thinking as far as spring laying. They said the chicks won't be able to acclimate to the cold. But what I read says they are fine once fully feathered?? Which would be about 6 weeks correct? Mid December or so if we get chicks now... It will be pretty cold then.
Yeah but they need weaned off heat gradually. And really with as cold as it gets here they need a bit of size on them too.

You can most certainly get chicks this time of year. We live in Michigan and we have 7 black copper marans chicks that are 4 weeks old.
You will want to keep them in a brood box with a heat lamp or chick pad. This time of year I like to keep my young ones inside for 6-8 weeks.
Provide a coop that gives good shelter from the wind. I like straw inside the coop in the winter for the young ones especially because of it's insulative properties.
You may be able to still find some online, although I'm not certain because I haven't checked lately.
Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom