issues... this is BAD!

Ctrl and the + key together is a quick way of increasing font size. Use Ctrl and - to reduce it again.

Right, that is a faster method. Also on some computers you can hold down the left mouse button while turning the scroll wheel. That's what's great and also confusing with computers, there are usually multiple paths to reach the same goal.
With Chrome, click the little gear icon in the upper right corner, then zoom. Note that the little box next to zoom expands the browser to full screen without tool bars, so if you hit that by accident, the F11 key will take you back to normal.

There will be a learning curve and some difficulties any time we switch platform, and not just on a situation like this (an internet forum). If you switch from an old flip phone to a smart phone, it's really confusing at first, but if you put a little time into it with an open mind and, hopefully, some enthusiasm, and then augment that by looking at the instruction book, pretty soon you couldn't imagine going back to a flip phone. If you've been driving a rusty 1994 Chevy S10 with a broken muffler and get a brand new Dodge Ram with cruise control, GPS and 4WD, at first it will seem confusing, awkward, clumsy, and the dashboard will seem cluttered with the GPS, sound system, etc... but give it a little time, read the manual, and soon you'll love it.

A couple weeks of this and going back to the old BYC will feel like picking up a flip phone with a cracked screen, or like driving that rusty S10. It will be warm and familiar, true, but it will also feel very limited and limiting.

I would love to see the text a little bigger. However as some suggested with the ctrl + and stuff that does have its limits. I don't feel like ever time I want to change tabs that all my pages are now at 150 percent instead of the regular 100 percent. Its definately anoying when I go from byc to facebook and have all the text on facebook show up huge.

I sorta like the new posting features the wysiwyg is a lot better than the old style. I have been using it on my sites for a lot time now... It does take some time to get used to however. The navigation is poorly laid out and the forum is now to "thin" especially with the ads and other junk thats now in the side bar "wiggets" I would say to have the side bar move into the blue unused space instead of butting in on the posts. However theres also the other side of nifty wanting to make ads revenue so if its in the face you will hopefully notice and click the ads more.

I will have to say one thing. the site is way to cluttered. Includeing the front page. To much scrolling and the what not. Make the forum and site easier to navigate and I think the new byc would be a lot better place.

I would love to see the text a little bigger. However as some suggested with the ctrl + and stuff that does have its limits. I don't feel like ever time I want to change tabs that all my pages are now at 150 percent instead of the regular 100 percent. Its definately anoying when I go from byc to facebook and have all the text on facebook show up huge.

I sorta like the new posting features the wysiwyg is a lot better than the old style. I have been using it on my sites for a lot time now... It does take some time to get used to however. The navigation is poorly laid out and the forum is now to "thin" especially with the ads and other junk thats now in the side bar "wiggets" I would say to have the side bar move into the blue unused space instead of butting in on the posts. However theres also the other side of nifty wanting to make ads revenue so if its in the face you will hopefully notice and click the ads more.

I will have to say one thing. the site is way to cluttered. Includeing the front page. To much scrolling and the what not. Make the forum and site easier to navigate and I think the new byc would be a lot better place.
I agree, I don't like to bounce from one text size to another on different forums.

Another one I'm getting the extra step when I want to post a link, and dont want to use the Windows Exployer box, then have to go extra box to post a link. Ugh!

Breathe, patience, breathe LOL!

You can turn off the "carousel" on the front page in your preferences.

I agree that the side bar gets in the way, I'd like to see that reduced or shifted, but no design will work for everyone. Every computer displays differently- font size is partly determined by screen resolution and screen size. Color tones and brightness will be different on every computer. I've done a lot of work on that stuff with my website; I've had a website since 1994 and there is no ideal solution. What looks great on a 12" windows XP laptop screen looks bland and washed out on a 21" mac monitor and might not work at all on an iPhone. The developers can only do so much, users do have to adjust things themselves sometimes.

For that reason I would like to see more options for personalization or "skins" even for general members.

I have 2 suggestions that may help with internet speed and viewing:

Check your internet speed easily online, free. Try these websites (we have been using them for 7-10 years and are completely safe) speedtest.net or speakeasy.net or www.bandwidthplace.com/ If you aren't getting the speed you are paying for from your cable company, call them and complain. They will come out, sometimes it's just a simple matter of upgrading old parts outside with newer faster connectors. They will also check your speed and make any changes or software updates needed with wireless or internet boxes. We have gone through this process with both Comcast and Verizon. We have the upgraded internet package and our speed is usually 30 mps. We check our speeds all the time with the websites I posted. I will say, I had Comcast for over 10 years, and just got Verizon 6 months ago when we moved. Verizon is so much better. FYI! If you are in a home that previously had a satellite and you now use cable, make sure the connector in the wall behind your TV(s) has had the reducer/adapter removed. Satellite companies have to use these to get the right callibration for their signal. These reducers are useless for cable TV and should be removed and tossed in the trash. We went through this process and what a huge difference on our TV. One clue that you might not be getting the speeds in your internet or the best signal for your TV is if you see any pixeling on your TV. (dead giveaway). Also, make sure all your connections are tight on your computer, TV, cable boxes, etc.

I also am using Chrome, I love it. Make sure you are using the lastest version. I have absolutely no issues at all with Chrome. The font can very simply be enlarged by clicking on the little wrench on their browser at the top right of the toolbar. Once in there, just click on zoom to whatever size you like.

I am new to BYC (about a week or so) I am in a learning curve too, but it seems easy enough to navigate through. I don't like all the stuff on the right side of the page showing "who's doing what". I do suggest everyone crawl through your profile settings and make sure things are the way you want them. I feel I don't have enough privacy with the page showing which forum everyone is in. I hope that goes away. I would like to have the option to turn on or off that feature.

Oh, dar,
hugs.gif
I change my zoom to 125 and I can see things fine. I have found a spot for my little hand to sit on the right side of the page that is comfortable on the eyes and keeps things more still. I am computer illeterate and ocd... change drives me nuts. But what has helped me is to go slow and be patient. I am loving the new site despite my handicaps.

Quote:

Hold down "Ctrl" and the "+" simultaneously will increase the font.

Hold down "Ctrl" and the "-" simultaneously will decrease the font.

Yes that would be correct but I was hopeing that the upgrade would allow for the website to better fit the screens. The old byc would open up perfectly for me "i have a big screen" and the text woudl not reduce. This site I have a lot of unused space for me. While I can tab to my site and it has a bigger font size and the forum actually expands to the whole screen withought making the site look bad. I do like the idea of the personalize skins though. it would also be cool if we could customize our sidebar (I call them wiggets) Users could rearange and customize there side bar with wiggets that suit them best. The ads however would not be changed unles they were paid members sorta thing. Maybe like a Wigget that shows topics in yoru favorate section of the forum. or One that shows a little snippet of your profile with your post count... Or even one that shows the top 10 posters or Topic starters.

You can turn off the "carousel" on the front page in your preferences.

I agree that the side bar gets in the way, I'd like to see that reduced or shifted, but no design will work for everyone. Every computer displays differently- font size is partly determined by screen resolution and screen size. Color tones and brightness will be different on every computer. I've done a lot of work on that stuff with my website; I've had a website since 1994 and there is no ideal solution. What looks great on a 12" windows XP laptop screen looks bland and washed out on a 21" mac monitor and might not work at all on an iPhone. The developers can only do so much, users do have to adjust things themselves sometimes.

For that reason I would like to see more options for personalization or "skins" even for general members.

Back
Top Bottom