It feels like FOREVER!!! UPDATE!!!! MAJOR UPDATE!!!!!!!

EggsForIHOP

Songster
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
TEXAS
So, my EE's and bantams are all now 14 weeks old...and it is starting to feel like time has sloooooowwweeddd down in waiting for that first egg! Looking back, the last 14 weeks have flown by! But now the days are dragging! Who else is on the never ending countdown until their first egg?

THIS IS AWFUL!!! I told myself not to count on any eggs until September when I got them back in April, now I just want to wake up in September! I keep seeing all the first egg posts and I have to admit I am feeling the envy a little! I would take a tiny little bantam egg and cheerfully make the smallest omelet ever any day just to say I got one! I think once the roos start crowing and there are no eggs a-coming....that is the worst part! Like the boys are out there teasing and laughing! Who else is not-so-patiently waiting for eggs?

SOOOOOO AFTER MUCH WAITING! AND PRAYING! AND THREATS OF FREEZER CAMP! WE FINALLY GOT AN EGG YESTERDAY!!!! IT WOULD BE THE FIRST DAY I WORK IN OVER TWO WEEKS!!! I MISSED IT BEING LAYED! BUT.....I CAME HOME TO FIND THE MOST TINIEST PERFECT EGG IN A NEST BOX!!!!! I SPENT ALL NIGHT TEXTING AND CALLING AND DRIVING AROUND WITH IT AND HOLDING IT FOR HOURS!!! NOW...I FINALLY POST IT HERE (ALONG WITH PICS OF WHO I THINK DID IT) IT IS JUST SO FREAKING AWESOME!!!! LOOK LOOK LOOK LOOK !!!! LOOK WHAT MY CHICKENS MADE!

ya.gif
ya.gif
wee.gif
yippiechickie.gif
wee.gif
yippiechickie.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif
yippiechickie.gif
wee.gif
yippiechickie.gif
wee.gif
yippiechickie.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif

54700_egg.jpg

Next to my house keys for comparison - it is size double extra tiny!

54700_egg2.jpg

With a shiny new quarter...

54700_egg3.jpg

In a box of store bought "large" eggs - it's the little cream colored one in the middle. It even has speckles a little bit (I checked, not poo - SPECKLES)

54700_culprit.jpg

I think she did it! She has always been the gentlest hen, loves to sit on my shoulder, the first one to greet me when I go to the coop/run. Anyone think it wasn't her though? I don't know what kind of eggs she would lay...but this one is creamy colored with some very light speckles...AND OH SO TINY!!!!

We celebrated with pizza and beer last night! I almost bought cigars even! It's great to be a mama! (Oh, and I might have done this wrong and not to protocol...but since I had started this thread FOREVER ago I figured I would finish it!

Last edited:
Ha! I was jealous reading "first egg" posts on July 4th - and I didn't even get my first birds until July 7th! I'm really hoping for my first egg to come on a holiday; Thanksgiving, St. Nick's (which is also my birthday, dec 6th), Christmas, Near Year's. With a birth date of July 7th, it could quite possibly happen on any of those days. Yeah, a holiday "first egg" just really has me, for some reason.
idunno.gif

Hope your day comes soon!

Yes, it does seem to take forever. I was anxiously awaiting blue eggs from my pure Ameraucana, then a younger BCM girls decided to beat them to it with her 1st egg. Then a few days later, I got the first blue egg. And within 2 weeks, I now have both BCM's laying and 3 of the 4 Ameraucana's.

Sit back, enjoy them, you'll get your eggs. (Besides, it's supposed to be better for them to lay later, less problems later in life)

I know what you mean, my pullets are just over 15 weeks now. Probably too early to expect anything from the barred rocks, but I also have a RIR & a gold comet (which I know from my reading on here COULD start at 16 weeks), so I'm a little anxious myself!

I read a post the other day where someone had an egg (golden comet) at 13wks old! I didn't even think they laid that young, but I have never had sex link chicks either.

Not to highjack, but when I read the post, I was thinking, I can hardly wait either, but not for the first egg, but I just put eggs under a broody!

Patience is a virtue. For those of you waiting for your first eggs, maybe it will help, if you know, that while the first eggs is special, it is still fun, years later, to find eggs each day!

Signs to look for: Bright red combs and bright yellow legs, egg squat. Then you are getting close! Put fake eggs in your nests then, and cross your fingers. AND if you are sneaking down to the house a couple times a day just to check and see, everyone here will understand, and most of us, are right there with you.

ok know the feeling, my chickens are about 17 weeks old and finally got my first 2 eggs yesterday which was great and so excited but today nothing any ideas.

I have older layers, but my new batch of girls still haven't laid an egg! They will be 20 weeks this sunday. I have about 26 or so girls and one roo in this batch. Still waiting....
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom