Tragedy has struck our house...

I let Blackie outside for her outside playtime today, and she was being totally normal. Eating, drinking, dust bathing etc, prancing around doing her funny broody speed-run...

I went back inside for 10 minutes, and when I went back out to get her and bring her inside... she was laying on her side in the run gasping for air but making no sound. Her comb was purplish-blue. I picked her up and tried to see if I could help her and she thrashed for a second, went still... and died. She must have eaten something that got stuck and blocked her throat... idk.

So there I was, standing in total shock, holding her dead chicken body. I went into the garage and got a little box to put her in because I couldn't bear to put her in a bag for trash. She was such a good girl and proud egg-momma.

I went back inside and carefully collected her eggs and moved them to the incubator. Now I really need them to hatch since they are her "children" and all we will have left of her.

Sad day. :hit
Oh man so sorry. That really sucks. This chicken keeping gets really real sometimes. Hugs.

I was having the same thought about plastic sheeting with puppers... I decided to use the clear corrugated plastic roofing stuff instead... this stuff:
View attachment 2955590

It's tougher and will still be a good wind block, while still allowing sunlight in. You can cut it to whatever size you need with heavy duty scissors. Do you think that might work for you?
it probably would work but after Christmas and my daughters b-day coming up I just don't have the extra $ for the amt I would need. Since my pup is big he goes 3-4' up the side when he jumps up on it at times and to cover 44'- 64' of it 4' 3-4' high it would add up quite a bit. I had thought of just putting some of the extra HWC I have over the plastic for the winter so he hits that instead or just trying the plastic and seeing how he does.

Tragedy has struck our house...

I let Blackie outside for her outside playtime today, and she was being totally normal. Eating, drinking, dust bathing etc, prancing around doing her funny broody speed-run...

I went back inside for 10 minutes, and when I went back out to get her and bring her inside... she was laying on her side in the run gasping for air but making no sound. Her comb was purplish-blue. I picked her up and tried to see if I could help her and she thrashed for a second, went still... and died. She must have eaten something that got stuck and blocked her throat... idk.

So there I was, standing in total shock, holding her dead chicken body. I went into the garage and got a little box to put her in because I couldn't bear to put her in a bag for trash. She was such a good girl and proud egg-momma.

I went back inside and carefully collected her eggs and moved them to the incubator. Now I really need them to hatch since they are her "children" and all we will have left of her.

Sad day. :hit
Oh no I am so sad for you!!!!! 😭😢😭sounds like maybe a heart attack? I have heard their combs go purplish-blue with one?

I hope all of "her" eggs make it!!!!!!!!! How heart breaking. I am so sorry. :(

Today, at 18 weeks and 4 days... our lovely girl, Zoingo, laid her first egg!!! (She is either a Production Blue or Blue Rock, we don't really know).

This is the first egg of our flock, but several others look to be getting close! Zoingo has been squatting for about 2 weeks and pelvic separation has been there for about a week.

Here is the lovely girl having a dust bath and our first little egg! (The white eggs are fake ceramic ones)

View attachment 2824505View attachment 2824507View attachment 2824509
Oh, what joy! How pretty!
I feel like my girls are laying their first eggs today. Some new pullets are, but we were down to around 3 to 4 eggs from 24 until two days ago my ameruacana are back!
YAY! EGGS!
CONGRATULATIONS!🌷🌷🌷

Oh no I am so sad for you!!!!! 😭😢😭sounds like maybe a heart attack? I have heard their combs go purplish-blue with one?

I hope all of "her" eggs make it!!!!!!!!! How heart breaking. I am so sorry. :(
I'm so sad, I'm sick about it. She really was my favorite girl. I was so proud of her taking care of her baby eggs so well...

I was also thinking possible heart attack, but when I first found her it seemed like she couldn't get any air to pass her airway... so it made me think something was stuck... I really don't know. She was eating and drinking outside each day and I would also feed her scrambled eggs and things on the side to make sure she didn't lose weight, etc... Im just beside myself.

The welsh harlequin eggs are set for hatch at the end of next week... I desperately hope they make it.

I'm so sad, I'm sick about it. She really was my favorite girl. I was so proud of her taking care of her baby eggs so well...

I was also thinking possible heart attack, but when I first found her it seemed like she couldn't get any air to pass her airway... so it made me think something was stuck... I really don't know. She was eating and drinking outside each day and I would also feed her scrambled eggs and things on the side to make sure she didn't lose weight, etc... Im just beside myself.

The welsh harlequin eggs are set for hatch at the end of next week... I desperately hope they make it.
A mouse maybe? One of my aunts chickens choked on one a few years ago…tried to swallow it whole. 😞

Back
Top Bottom