It has begun

I had to go out of town for a couple of days. My eggs due later this month were fine, I was worried about losing the ones due the 30th (very small batch) The house got pretty cold.of the small batch only this one hatched. I call her "Hen Solo"

My other eggs are doing well, a bit of a staggered hatch...and while I was out of town I picked up a hand full of eggs from a road side farm to add to the barnyard mix. Mystery eggs exciting!

ok, I ran the incubator during the New Year's holiday weekend.

Once I got it up to 100, per the cheesy thermometer that came with the bator, it held and maintained with very little need for adjustment, aside from some initial fine tuning. Today, I will get the hygrometer/thermometer and an additional thermometer, and run the bator for the rest of the week, noting the humidity levels and temps.

next week I will begin the hatch.

I was fortunate to find a local source of eggs. Lady sells eating eggs, but has roosters covering all of her hens, so should be able to get a few fertilized eggs. I have no idea of breed, but for the price she charges for a dozen, I can't really go wrong.

so my downward spiral into chicken math has begun.

My crew, the black dots are clear pull eggs, the pink dots are the eggs from that lady's farm, and the rest are from my hens. Some due by the 16th, the rest the 20th. The little egg was just a fart egg. I thought I was incubating it, but it is not going anywhere.

Last edited:
good news! the little tan egg with arrow is not a pull! I gave it one more night, it is developing behind the other eggs, so maybe due on Jan. 21,22 but still in the running! good thing I gave it one more night, my only LO egg.

one step closer.

picked up the hygrometer yesterday evening.

I should have read the box. one AA battery, not included!!!

and of course every battery we have in the house is in the kids' new Christmas gifts.

Back
Top Bottom