Italian National Poultry Championship Dec. 2018

Pics
Three Faverolles

A German Salmon Faverolle (Faverolles Tedesca Salmonata). He was scored B92
The Italians differentiate the German Faverolles from the original (French) Faverolles as being distinct varieties.
Salmon Favorelle argentata frumenta b92.jpg

And another Faverolle, an Argentata Frumento (silver wheat) with a higher score, MB94
(353)Salmon Faverolle mb 94.jpg

and another view of him:
Fely-Favorelle (3) mb 94.jpg

And this young lady was is also Argentata Frumento (silver wheat). she didn't receive a score.
Favorelle.jpg

With almost 1500 entries, I'm amazed they were able to compile so much info and get it published in a nice quality catalog in time for the opening of the show. Amazing amount of work and organization, and for sure there will be some errors... and some birds that don't arrive in time, or have last minute issues and need to be withdrawn or replaced.

The place was clean and well laid out, staff was going around with a large barrel and pump making sure the water dishes had water. Entry fee for visitors was €5,00 and the catalog was €5,00 ($5.70 U.S.), quite reasonable.
Ohio National is like the national show, and they always spell "Ameraucana" wrong on the trophies, lol.
A lot of people have to enter ahead of time before they know the gender of the bird, but in this case probably not.

I found some videos with good walk-abouts at the show.

This one was prepared by the organizers, and lets you see many of the top winners and a lot of the others:

Another video tour, with naration in Italian, with a good view of the entries.

This third one, in Italian, gives a long view of the show, and also shows cage tags so if you pause you can often catch the breed names. It starts with a long intro, which I found interesting, but if you don't understand Italian skip to the 1:54 mark to start the bird tour. Then, at the 10:50 mark it begins a 6 minute interview with a breeder who has been working for 10 years to recreate an Italian heritage breed that has been extinct since about 1950, the Mugellese. The were originally from the Tuscan town of Mugello, and the coloring is Dorata Frumento (golden wheat). They are good layers, lively but docile, and are small, well suited for the smaller gardens of may Italian homes. The roosters weigh about 1.75 lb (.8kg), hens about 1.5 lb (.7kg). If you don't speak Italian, just grab a good look at the birds he's holding and move on.

THAT'S what I was waiting for ! The Light Sussex. My breed. Wow, what a lovely bird! I also love the depth of black on this bird. Drool!
Karen and the Light Sussex in western PA, USA
Here are two Columbian Sussex roos. The one on the left scored MB95, just one point less than the hen who won best of breed, and the one on the right scored MB93
8-(343)Columbian_Sussex.jpg

And another view of the best of breed Columbian Sussex.
8-(340)Columbian_Sussex-cdr.jpg

Back
Top Bottom