Italian National Poultry Championship Dec. 2018

Pics
Three Brahmas:

This one is a Black Partridge Brahma, in Italian called "Perniciata Maglie Nera".
View attachment 1644328

Gold partridge Brahma
View attachment 1644329

This is a Perniciata Maglie Blu Brahma (Blue Partridge Brahma)
View attachment 1644330
First is a gold partridge, second is a blue gold partridge, and third is another blue gold partridge.
A lot of the birds at this show had the color description of Perniciata, which translates as partridge. These two Brahmas are listed as Perniciata Maglie Nere, (Maglie is sweater or mesh, nere is black, so I've translated it as black partridge Brahma. Is that correct for these two?)
The one on the left, in cage 251, scored S 90 (sufficient, 90 points) and on the right in cage 250 scored MB 93 molto buono 93 points). Both were from the same breeder, from a village just 11 miles outside Florence.

BTW, I had shared the hen in cage 251 back in post 15 of this thread.
View attachment 1646426
In Italian, the variety of these Wyandottes is Oro Orlato Blu. Are they gold laced blue, blue laced red, or what? I can never keep that straight.
This fellow earned a score of B91
View attachment 1644345

And she did better with an MB93
View attachment 1644346
Blue laced red
In the Italian breed listing, they show Ameraucana, Araucana, and English Araucana (Araucana Inglese). The English Araucana has a tail.
http://www.agraria.org/polli/araucanainglese.htm
On the right side of the page you'll see links for the other two breeds.
Edit to add: I was able to match with some of my other photos, she is a Belgian D'Anvers. In Italian Barbuta D'Anversa Gigio Perla Picchiettata Bianco. The coloring translates as gray pearl with white speckling. I wonder if its the color called "Blue Mottled" in English speaking countries?
Yes, I believe that color would be either blue mottled or lavender mottled.
These poor guys look like they are deformed, I've never seen a picture of a Serema that almost carries their head over their back before.
From what I've read, show quality serama are supposed to have posture like that.

First is a gold partridge, second is a blue gold partridge, and third is another blue gold partridge.

Blue laced red

Yes, I believe that color would be either blue mottled or lavender mottled.

From what I've read, show quality serama are supposed to have posture like that.
Most likely lavender mottled.

Seramas look like that. It's just a stance.

Here is a barred Orpington.
(252)Bantam silver penciled Cocina.jpg

This silver penciled bantam Cochin scored B91. In Italian he's called a Cocincina nana perniciata argento.
There are a couple more silver penciled Banting Cochin's in post #3 of this thread.
(257)bantam cochin silver penciled roo.jpg

Last edited:
Here are a pair of bantam Cochins. I'm told both are silver penciled. There are a couple more, including the hen who won for best coloration, in post #3 of this thread.View attachment 1646604

This guy scored B91. In Italian he's called a Cocincina nana perniciata argento.View attachment 1646605
Top is not a Cochin. Probably an Orpington. Color is Barred.

Second appears to be a Silver Duckwing Cochin.

x2
Also, in the second post the barred male is a female.
The two in the second post I'm sure of, because for those my wife got photos of the cage tags. (unless someone switched the birds to the wrong cages). If you look behind the tags, you'll see the birds. The barred mail is in cage 1308.

There do seem to be a few in the high number cages that were listed incorrectly in the catalog, so maybe a few were late arrivals or replacements. The F on the tag means Female; the M on tag 1308 is cut off in the photo, but it's listed in the publication. D777 is the leg band number, which isn't listed on some of the higher cage numbers, making me think those could have been late entries.

None of the cages with numbers above 1259 had scores listed in the catalog, unlike everything else. Some were scored, and the tags show the judges comments; but quite a number of others were new varieties that the breeders were developing, and that are not yet recognized in the Italian standard.

BTW, all the breeders are listed, with their contact info. In many cases the birds were for sale, and prices were listed too.
7-cocincina-tags.jpg

Last edited:
The two in the second post I'm sure of, because for those my wife got photos of the cage tags. (unless someone switched the birds to the wrong cages). If you look behind the tags, you'll see the birds. The barred mail is in cage 1308.

None of the cages with numbers above 1259 had scores listed in the catalog, unlike everything else. They were scored, the tags show the judges comments; perhaps those were too late for the printing. There do seem to be a few in the high number cages that were listed incorrectly in the catalog, so maybe a few were late arrivals or replacements. (the F on the tag means Female; the M on tag 1308 is cut off in the photo, but it's listed in the publication). D777 is the leg band number, which isn't listed on some of the higher cage numbers, making me think those could have been late entries. BTW, all the breeders are listed, with their contact info. In many cases the birds were for sale, and prices were listed too.View attachment 1646738
I've seen them get it wrong at the best of shows. :lol:

I've seen them get it wrong at the best of shows. :lol:
With almost 1500 entries, I'm amazed they were able to compile so much info and get it published in a nice quality catalog in time for the opening of the show. Amazing amount of work and organization, and for sure there will be some errors... and some birds that don't arrive in time, or have last minute issues and need to be withdrawn or replaced.

The place was clean and well laid out, staff was going around with a large barrel and pump making sure the water dishes had water. Entry fee for visitors was €5,00 and the catalog was €5,00 ($5.70 U.S.), quite reasonable.

Back
Top Bottom