Its 28*C in my coop 26*C outside my girls are panting

Dar

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 31, 2008
How can I keep my girls cool? I feel so bad for them I am so close to putting AC in the coop.

Its official we are in a heat wave.

I have a pan of water in the run for them to use to cool off but they dont use it

I have 2 fans in the coop, one sucking the cooler outside air in and the other is sucking air out

What else can I do to keep them cool?

they have been free ranging all day and now its time to lock them up for their own safety

If they have access to the ground they will scratch a hole and lay in it on the bare ground...

You could put a bucket of ice infront of the 'blowing into the coop' fan so it works like an A/C...

You could pit in shallow dishes of water for them to wade in ...

Um... provide extra shade? Umbrellas from the dollar store opened up and all over the yard.

During our heat wave we made what my son calls a hill billy air conditioner for the coop. Basically freeze a 2 litre bottle of water (or two or three) and set it inside the coop. It's amazing how quickly things cool down. Good luck!

Quote:
28 is a heat wave for us.... there has been a heat advisory in affect for 5 days now... this is BRUTAL in Canada...LOL I know we are wimps

with the humidity it feels like 42C they are advising people not to go out if they have AC.. if you dont there are 24 hour cooling stations open

Back
Top Bottom