It's almost time! Duck buyers unite!

Well ducks are definitely messy, which (in my opinion at least!) equals smelly :sick! My ducks are also a LOT louder than my chickens, but I still love them! They are just so fun to watch! I agree about the egg thing too. My ducks rarely miss a day, and I've only had 1 go broody. Also their eggs are HUGE! :eek:

I'm thinking about adding a few more to my flock in the spring... also thinking about adding a few geese. I heard they are great "watch dogs" and we unfortunately have had a predator problem lately. :(

Hey guys! I just compiled this list. It's a list of fun things that you can give to ducks!

Red Pepper Flakes-
Mild dewormer. Mix with food weekly/monthly. It's up to you.
Brewers/Nutritional Yeast-
Sprinkle over feed weekly for ducklings to support growth; especially in the legs.
Marigold Flowers-
Contributes to healthy eggs and yellow yolks.
Grated carrots, radishes, and beets-
These are some of the vegetables that do not need to be cooked for the ducks to be able to eat and they are a great source of nutrients! They should be grated to make it easier on the ducks.
Meal Worms and other bugs-
Great for protein and a favorite treat among poultry! Here's an idea- Freeze some meal worms in water for a cool summer treat!
Oyster Shell-
Great source of calcium to ensure strong shells. If you have drakes, provide in a separate bowl to make sure that they don't eat it. The females need it, but it can be harmful for drakes.
Goldfish, Minnows, and Guppies-
Good source of protein and fun treat! Put in their pool and watch them catch them! Make it a limited treat if you get eggs from them though; it may taint the flavor.
Sav-A-Chick Electrolyte and Vitamin Supplement-
Great for ducks of all ages. For ducklings with no problems, adult birds in hot weather, etc. You can find this at Tractor Supply Co.

Hope this helped some of you! Let me know what you think!! :woot:highfive:

Ok so when starting a small flock of ducks (6 or less) does it make a difference (for the well being of the ducks) if you have all one breed, or a mixed flock, or maybe pairs or trips of breeds so they have a buddy of the same breed? Do ducks care about the breed of the other ducks in their flock? I know my chickens are all different and get along fine.

Sounds good! Thanks! With my chickens I know I like having a mixed flock. It's easy to tell them all apart, they all have different personalities, and hopefully by having a variety of chickens and ducks it will help me to have eggs all year and they won't all quit laying at once or molt all at once or go broody all at once etc. Though with my luck, who knows!

Sounds good! Thanks! With my chickens I know I like having a mixed flock. It's easy to tell them all apart, they all have different personalities, and hopefully by having a variety of chickens and ducks it will help me to have eggs all year and they won't all quit laying at once or molt all at once or go broody all at once etc. Though with my luck, who knows!

Lol. Same here though. I want to name them and be able to tell them apart. I've promised myself that I'm not going to name them until they are adults! I don't want any changes in appearance....

@Bridger Davis Thanks for inviting me to your thread.

I have been collecting adult Call ducks since spring and currently have 3 trios. I am planning on raising ducklings in the spring for the first time. I am a little nervous this will be my first time breeding ducks and I picked a breed that is notoriously difficult. I have purchased show and breeder quality ducks and hope to raise some nice babies that I can exhibit in 2018. I'll definitely follow along here to make sure I can give my babies the best start when they arrive. :love

Back
Top Bottom