Its been over 1 month

noidea77

In the Brooder
Dec 6, 2015
I have had a duck egg for over a month in my cupboard and set at a straight accurate temperature, i have been candling the egg and it started develping exactly a week after i found it! I can see that it has broken into the air sack but since then there is no movement, i have done the float test and it was a low floater, i have no idea what to do now!! help!!!!

I have had a duck egg for over a month in my cupboard and set at a straight accurate temperature, i have been candling the egg and it started develping exactly a week after i found it! I can see that it has broken into the air sack but since then there is no movement, i have done the float test and it was a low floater, i have no idea what to do now!! help!!!!

welcome-byc.gif

That is a long time for the egg to incubate, unless its a muscovy or goose egg.

Hold the warm egg to your ear. If you hear a "click, click" sound, that is a great sign. It means the hatchling is breathing and developing normally. Candle the egg again and see if you can see any movement in the air sack. If you do, that is a great sign.

If you don't see movement, and you don't hear anything, you can try the float test again. Use warm water, about the same temp as the egg (99.5 F). You are looking for movement in the water. Little ripples or anything of that nature. Movement is a great sign, the hatchling is still alive. The float test can make the egg cold or reduce airflow through the shell, so don't do it unless you need to.

Unless it is an absolute last resort, don't pip the shell for the duckling. It can dry out the membranes, it can rupture a blood vessel, and that is bad. I've done it, but only as an absolute last resort--and I regretted it later.

Good luck with the hatch!! I hope it turns out OK.

Back
Top Bottom