It's going to be super cold.

Its 1° here and according to the forecast going to be like that for the next 2 weeks. We were lucky and only got 8" of snow. I am so done with winter.

Where are you?

he.gif

Tre, we got 6 and are expecting another doozy according to the forcast, then finally a warmup. Just glad I am not in your part of the country. Guess I only think it's cold here!

Kskingbee, I believe trefoil is in the Great Lakes region.

I'm in Michigan, the thumb

I had a fellow that worked for me who I asked where he was raised. He held his hand up and pointed to a spot on it and said right here and named the town. I assume that is a common thing in Mi.

Oh, I wanted to ask how you deal with the mash you feed when it freezes in this cold. I usually carry two buckets and put the frozen leftovers in the empty bucket and feed the fresh warm mash. I take the frozen leftovers inside and warm them up and mix it back into the new batch at the next feeding.

Yes, in Michigan that's usually how we describe where we live, its easy. I do basically the same, except because I add brewers yeast, I don't mix it in until just before I feed so I don't contaminate my "starter" with the wrong kind of fermentation. I leave it in the pail & add water until the next day.

Last edited:
It gets really tempting when it gets really cold to just throw out some dry food for them and not mess with the mash. But my peas just don't drink water, and if I feed them mash I know they are getting hydrated. I also like giving them a nice warm breakfast on cold mornings. Every five gallon bucket of mash has over two gallons of water that if they are going to eat they are going to get that moisture.

My estimate is that every bird get at least seven ounces of water in their food. I still provide water, but it feels like a waste of time and effort. The contained peas all have heated dog bowls and the freerangers get the ice knocked out of their rubber bowls and refilled fresh or they can go down to the creek and drink. The creek never freezes completely over.

It never ceases to amaze me how much volume I get from wetting the dry feed. You mentioned that fermenting raises the protein level another twelve percent, do you ever get concerned about how high your protein level gets? Some posters here have made that concern in young developing chicks. I figure my feed, not counting the extras like mackerel, bananas, fresh veggies, etc. to be right at 25%. If fermenting adds another 12% that brings it up to 37% ?!!! Well, they look fat and happy and the plumage is brilliant, and no one is limping.....

thumbsup.gif

I raise all my babies on mash so when it comes worming time they are ready for their mash treat, i believe it is better for their digestion and you don't have to worry about dust from the feed messing with their sinuses
wink.png

I know its confusing, but by raising the % protein available, it doesn't raise it to 37%, it would raise it to 25% + .12 x .25, or 28%, if I've done my math right. What fermenting does is make the protein more available.

Back
Top Bottom