Ivermax injectable cattle wormer for Peafowl?

achiapponi

Chirping
May 5, 2022
Hi all!

What are your thoughts on giving peahen Ivermax injectable cattle dewormer in their water? 2 ML per gallon is what it said...

Last edited:
I have a hen with semi droopy wings and I have tried every type of calcium and vitamin D supplement. She is not lethargic and is still eating but I am concerned it's something. I thought she was egg bound but she I can't feel anything and she is not producing an egg. She is a 3 year old peahen.
@casportpony are you online?

Oral dosing is always best so if you can get her used to and liking a wet mash you can put both the meds and the CG in her feed.
I agree. A wet mash is my favourite way to get medication into them.

I give my birds a wet mash as a treat so they are used to it and get excited about it. It's mainly just their normal feed mixed with some water but I add in a small amount of a different treat each time. Things like sunflower seeds, crushed nuts, scrambled egg, peanut butter etc. I occasionally mix in a probiotic as well, maybe once every couple of weeks.

When I'm worming the flock, I take their combined weight and mix up enough so that they will finish it in less than a couple of hours. They need to finish all of it but not too quickly because that way I can be sure the smallest ones get a chance to eat their share.

If I need to medicate an individual it's really easy to separate and dose the right bird and I give them a very small amount of wet mash so they eat it up quickly. I give the others the same wet mash without the medication on the other side of the partition so that they feel like they're eating together.

I spend time with them every day and observe them closely so that I can catch any issues quickly. It's so much easier to treat a bird that is still eating. Otherwise, it would be so much more stressful for both me and the bird to have to catch them to dose them.

Mixing it in water is probably not a good idea. You won't know how much each bird takes in.

What are you trying to treat?
I have a hen with semi droopy wings and I have tried every type of calcium and vitamin D supplement. She is not lethargic and is still eating but I am concerned it's something. I thought she was egg bound but she I can't feel anything and she is not producing an egg. She is a 3 year old peahen.

And thank you so much for your response!

Such awful information. That is like putting two aspirin in a glass of water and taking a few sips, it does nothing.
Yeah this guy had a whole YouTube video on it. Then I put it in the search for this site and nothing came up, so I thought let me ask the experts. What is your go to wormer for the peas to treat them with 2 times per year or monthly?

Back
Top Bottom