Ivermectin pour on - Can they drink it?

dazz02

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 27, 2012
May seem stupid but i can't find any injectable or water soluble ivermectin online that is cheap. Can they drink the pour on type if i dilute it in water and keep it well stirred to prevent it separating? If so what ratio would i dilute it to?

My hens all seem well but sneeze occasionally and sniffle like they have a cold. I have read that the ivermectin will treat them when diluted in water. I have also heard of antibiotics but don't know what or where to get them from.

Any help would be great. THANK YOU.

Save yourself some money because Ivermectin doesn't work as well as it used to for worming, and it doesn't work at all on a respiratory disease. It has been overused as a mitacide over the years apparently, and has built up resistance. And no they can't drink the pour-on kind. An occasional sneeze does not sound serious, but frequent sneezing and congestion sounds like mycoplasma G (CRD), infectious bronchitis, or another of the many diseases. Oxytetracycline or one of the other tetracyclines may help, and if it becomes serious, I would probably get some Tylan 50 injection or Tylan Powder. Here is a list of diseases, symptoms, and treatments : http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited:
Save yourself some money because Ivermectin doesn't work as well as it used to for worming, and it doesn't work at all on a respiratory disease. It has been overused as a mitacide over the years apparently, and has built up resistance. And no they can't drink the pour-on kind. An occasional sneeze does not sound serious, but frequent sneezing and congestion sounds like mycoplasma G (CRD), infectious bronchitis, or another of the many diseases. Oxytetracycline or one of the other tetracyclines may help, and if it becomes serious, I would probably get some Tylan 50 injection or Tylan Powder. Here is a list of diseases, symptoms, and treatments : http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
x2

X3

Right so i know 3 times over that they can't drink the pour on type!!! Thanks. I'll look in to getting some of the Oxytetracycline

Can this be put in their drinking water and at what ratio?

May seem stupid but i can't find any injectable or water soluble ivermectin online that is cheap. Can they drink the pour on type if i dilute it in water and keep it well stirred to prevent it separating? If so what ratio would i dilute it to?

My hens all seem well but sneeze occasionally and sniffle like they have a cold. I have read that the ivermectin will treat them when diluted in water. I have also heard of antibiotics but don't know what or where to get them from.

Any help would be great. THANK YOU.
First of all, are you treating for worms or a respiratory disease? You stated that your hens seem well, except that they occasionally have a sneeze and sniffle. Humans do the same thing on occasion and it doesnt mean we're sick, but it is something to be wary of. Consider that there might be an environmental problem that's causing them to sneeze and sniffle, examples; soiled bedding without proper ventilation will cause the symptoms you're seeing, inhaling feed dust when they eat, dust baths, DE, pollen, pesticide use in lawn etc...
These things can be corrected or eliminated. Respiratory diseases in chickens normally show more symptoms than an occasional sniffle or sneeze. Symptoms include; runny eyes/nostrils, facial swelling, gurgling, wheezing, head shaking, gaping, reduced or stopped eating/drinking/egg laying and so on.
Worms cause birds to be lethargic, thin, shabby feathers, not eating/drinking/egg laying, sometimes green feces, or you can actually see worms in feces if there's an infestation. I recommend valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer or safeguard liquid goat wormer for worming chickens.

Last edited:
Does ivermectin not treat for respiratory problems, i read that it did? They sneeze and sniffle and are sometimes wheezing. They aren't too bad yet but i don't want them getting any worse. They definitely have something even if it not that bad.

Does ivermectin not treat for respiratory problems, i read that it did? They sneeze and sniffle and are sometimes wheezing. They aren't too bad yet but i don't want them getting any worse. They definitely have something even if it not that bad.
You have been misinformed. Ivermectin is a cattle/equine wormer. It will not treat respiratory problems. Have you checked their habitat for any environmental causes of concern?

I don't think it's their environment. They are kept clean and i disinfect their shed regularly. The shed may not have the best ventilation but has open window and mesh panel 12" x 12" so i don't think it's bad. They are fed on layer pellets.

Back
Top Bottom