Jack Russell Terrier vs. Coon - Fight Photos & Dead Predator

Status
Not open for further replies.

CityClucks

The Center of a 50 Mile Radius
Jan 31, 2009
Tulsa, OK
This coon has killed one pigeon and eaten a leg off another - through the wire of their pen. When the pigeon attack happened I thought it was a cat, but since the metal pan beneath the coop was bent and torn halfway off, exposing the mesh metal floor, nnbreeder - a very credible BYC member - said it was most likely a raccoon. He was right.

We've had wet weather in Tulsa today, so about 7:00 p.m. I checked all the animals and put the outdoor cat's food on the side porch rail where it would be out of the rain. About an hour later Titus my Jack Russell Terrier, who was indoors with me, freaked. There was something on the porch. I opened the side door and Titus bolted out, snarling in the dark at what I thought was a strange cat. At first I called off the dog because in the dark the fluffy creature looked like my indoor long-haired black cat. But it wasn't a cat.

As it tried to climb up the side of the house I saw that it was a coon, so I told Titus to "Get it!" He jumped up and dragged it off the house onto the porch. Titus is maybe 20 pounds and about 12" tall.

A few months ago Titus killed what I believe to be this coon's littermate - that was very quick for the coon - a few amazingly powerful, quick, silent shakes - no blood - and it was over. I felt bad for the little raccoon, but I knew it would grow to be a predator of my poultry. But that was a few months ago, and although young, this coon was a lot bigger.

Before some of you start second guessing my choice to let the dog at the raccoon, let me say it was dark and I couldn't see how big the raccoon was until the combatants were engaged. I would not let my JRT go against a grown raccoon, and having had this experience, I wouldn't make the same decision if faced again with the same circumstances - this coon was almost 9 pounds. The fight was nasty and went on a long time. Titus is spent. The coon got some good licks in, but caused no serious wounds. (Titus has had a bath, been soaked in hydrogen peroxide, and is current on all shots.) But that's one less coon in the neighborhood.

(The camera was right inside the door.)

Note the top of the dog kennel in the background - this is my chicken run/pigeon coop housing.
22131_coon_fight01.jpg

22131_coon_fight02.jpg

22131_coon_fight03.jpg

22131_coon_fight04.jpg

22131_coon_fight05.jpg

Good Job Titus!!!
yippiechickie.gif
Give that doggie some treats!!!

However, you were VERY lucky that the coon wasn't larger and older! Things might not have turned out so well!

Get a trap!
love.gif

Way to go Eddie. Now I know what he has been doing since Frasier went off the air.

I guess we know what you are bringing for potlluck?

Good Boy!!!

Depending on your area some vaccinations may be warranted as a booster post-fight. Check with your vet.

And yes, in the future if it can be avoided I would not let your JRT at any predator until you can see what it is and what size. You were very lucky it was a baby. I know JRTs are varmint dogs by blood, but a full-grown coon can inflict injury on my two dogs -- who are 65 and 120 lbs. Your JRT would probably come out of a fight with a grown coon, but not in good shape. Trust me, I've had to break up plenty of middle of the night fights, finish the job with a shotgun and then cart the 30lb carcass out into the woods and toss it before going back to bed. My female is a machine when it comes to hunting and even she has come away with scratches when the coons get that size -- and I'm always right behind her with the shotgun so she doesn't even get to engage them for long.

I think it's okay for the dog to be your forerunner, so to speak, but he needs to know that when you get there to disengage and let you finish the job. And you need to be ready to follow through and do the actual killing with a gun to minimize damage to the dog.

Of course, all that is based on northern coons -- those in the south tend to be smaller so ... just my experience.
smile.png

Hey Beth : Titus got it handled all right, give him a bone for me. I think you did all you could under the circumstances, I am proud of you.

AL

Titus, you are such a good boy!! What a game little dog. I sure would worry about him getting seriously injured tho. Terriers will keep at it even if they know they are losing the battle.

Quote:
You're right - I realize how fortunate I am that this coon wasn't bigger - if I could have seen how big it was I wouldn't have let him at it - I thought it was cat-sized. Thanks also for the suggestion about the booster shot - I have plans to call the vet in the morning. And I've added "trap" to my shopping list!

eta: I guess it was cat-sized...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom