Jack Russell Terrier vs. Coon - Fight Photos & Dead Predator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cant believe you were takng pics! LOL i would have been freaking out! Coons are nasty mean things..glad the dog survived!! Those little JRT are tough little ankle biters! He would have put my big dogs to shame..
lol.png
They would have been hiding behind me..

Quote:
Heh, please do not think you don't have coons. They are EVERYWHERE and Ohio has a very healthy population, ALL of Ohio! NYC actually has a large population, and they don't all stay in Central Park... they are much more common than people realize, they are just good at staying under most people's radar, and many that see them after dark assume 'kitty' not coon without paying much attention.

http://www.bear-tracker.com/coon.html here's one link that tells a lot about them, including some very good images of tracks so people will recognize them. They adapt very easily to city/town/suburban life. They're incredibly opportunistic and will eat darn near anything!

Glad your JR fared so well CityCluck! I've always thought that if I could only have a small dog, a JR would be the best choice for me, I love their feisty attitude and intelligence. (most of em anyway! LOL I knew one who was an exception.)

Last edited:
Quote:
Here in North Carolina the state policy is: If your dog is current on his rabies shots and he is in a fight with a wild animal then you just get him a booster, and you don't have to test the animal for rabies.

If your dog does NOT have a rabies shot, or if his shots are out of date, then the wild animal is tested for rabies, and it better be negative or you're out of a dog. If the animal got away, then they assume positive for rabies and you're out of a dog.

Of course, you have the six month quarantine option, but that's really spendy. . . .

Excellent photos!!!!
clap.gif
Great example of a dog doing what a dog is supposed to do!

My Lab/BC mix took out a full grown coon when he was the tender age of 9 mos. old. I heard a coon squall and one bark late one night.....I was thinking to myself, "Well, the youngster is finding out how tough a coon is right about now!" and I chuckled to myself....

The next morning I walked outside to find this very large coon stretched out on my back porch. You could have knocked me over with a feather!
th.gif

Wish I could have seen it and taken pics, though.
fl.gif

Dogs kill coons, folks. I wouldn't give a nickel for a dog who wouldn't tackle a coon. It's what they are supposed to do and your JRT seems quite skilled at knowing just how to do it! Great dog!
clap.gif

I have 3 westerly jacks they rock!!!
love.gif
Nothing shall enter there domain!!
woot.gif
Thats what they are breed for... Mine keep anything out of the yard where my chickens are.. See he knew what he was berd for.
thumbsup.gif

So how do jack russells do around free ranging chickens? Just wondering cause we have neighbors (second homeowners) w/ jack russells. When they are around I watch my chicks but sometimes they show up for a weekend and I don't know they're here. Luckly, I have a border collie but he's not even a year old yet and very friendly to other dogs (sigh).

I am glad your little dog is ok.

However, I am a former veterinary technician and I have seed hundreds of these cases. So please do yourself a favor. Check your Jack Russell everyday. Feel around his neck and run your hands all over his body. Feel around for any areas that feel hot. Look for any unusual bumps or swellings.

Do this for the next few days. Sometimes bite wounds go undetected and do not bleed and they heal over very fast. If they go undiscovered, then you will get large pockets of infection. The dog may become lethargic, lose his appetite, and drink more water. Do not wait for this stage.

If these infections go unnoticed, they will require a veterinarian’s attention and lots of money and stitches later. When this happens these areas will need debriding, which is the cutting and the cleaning out of dead skin and infection. The Vet will also administer antibiotics. Then the wound being larger and will need to be stitched up possibly with a drain tube left in the wound for a while.

Good luck.
thumbsup.gif

edit: I think I am a "Day late and a dollar short." I see you have already received some good advice.

Last edited:
What a great dog! Brave little thing, that.

My lab regularly kills critters that come around our birds. She now has a little help (a Great Pyr) and will get still more help some time this week.

ETA...
Good thing your guy didn't run into one of those 10 foot tall 700 pound steel toothed coons I read about in this forum. He might have had a hard time with one of those things.

wink.png

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice everyone! Titus' vet says he's okay shot-wise but wants me to bring him in this a.m. just to check him for puncture wounds.

I was a wreck! I was yelling "Good dog" the whole time so Titus wouldn't become discouraged and would know he was doing the right thing. It was really dark - when the fight was finally over and I could see how big the coon was compared to Titus, I was sorry I let him tackle it. I misjudged it's size and mean-ness. I am sorry for allowing such fear and pain, even though the predator needed to be exterminated.

How is Titus with my chickens? Uncommonly good. He is a Very Well Socialized JRT. I've had other JRTs, and compared to them Titus does NOT have a stereotypical JRT personality - he is good humored with kids, other dogs, everyone ('cept predators). This is due to in part to consistent training and his uncommonly laid back personality. I've trained him to not even LOOK at the chickens...he ignores them completely. I have left him alone outside with them when they are free-ranging without incident. I have lost birds when Titus is not in the yard. All that being said, if Titus were to kill a chicken, I would have only myself to blame. Don't leave a terrier alone with your birds.

22131_dsc_2073.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom