Jack white silkie can't walk

jag1876

In the Brooder
Jun 16, 2016
Scotland
Please help, My silkie jack, age 22 months has been unwell for 3 weeks.
I have her inside, she is on vitamins, vermex, synulox and vit e.
she has lost lots of weight but seems not to be suffering however she has no balance if she tries to walk.
she can stand still with no problem but falls over as soon as she walks.
Any advice greatly appreciated
vicky

Sorry she passed,

I doubt sincerely that a 22 mos. hen would have spraddle foot. That is something you usually find in newly hatched chicks and it can be treated at that time - usually to total success. She may have been developing Marek's disease which causes paralysis generally starting in one leg and progressing.

Sorry for your loss. Are any others showing symptoms? My 1st guess would be starvation from possible worm infestation. Marek's is a possibility as well especially with the loss of balance,

thanks for your messages.
she was wormed around three months ago and again about four weeks ago.
I only have one other chicken, Victor.
Jack started to show symptoms four weeks ago, I wormed both her and Victor, deep cleaned the coop and treated it for mites, started multivitamins, Vit E, daily apple cider and garlic vinegar..
after about five days Jack was a lot better so I went ahead with my first batch of fertile eggs for a very broody Victor to hatch.
She has taken to it like a duck to water.
As she has been in the nest for 21 days (so excited today!) I haven't been able to see much of her but she seems happy.
I'm terrified she and the chicks (if they hatch) catch whatever she had too.
I have read that Silkies can die of loneliness if they loose their companion.
If the chicks hatch should they prevent this?
thank you,
vicky

I'm absolutely gutted, just hope Victor and the 3 (if they hatch) chicks are ok
1f424.png

Back
Top Bottom