Jan./Feb. 2014 hatch a long

this isn't hatching related but there are so many smart people here I hope you can help me....

so I have a Faverolle chick who hatched 1 day early and has messed up feet. I put chick sandals on her when she was about 18hrs old. she has had the sandals changed daily since then. I also noticed she started leaning on her left leg a lot with the sandals. So I bound the 2 legs together with flexible Vetrap so that she didn't start splaying the other leg out.

Last night when I re-made her sandals the feet just didnt look any better. I had her walk around and she really can't. the feet curl under her toward the inside and she favors the left side.

So last night I put her in a chick chair so she would not use her legs/feet and they would hopefully grow in the correct direction. Today I took her out of the chick chair and I noticed she has a sore on her right "knee" joint. it could be an injury or it could be from rubbing in the chick chair? I don't see what it could rub on, her chick chair is made of a plastic yogurt cup that is totally smooth inside. Maybe this injury was there before and I never noticed it? I dont see how because I look at her legs and feet every day multiple times a day.

so I cleaned the sore with iodine and AB ointment. it is also noticeably swollen.
I felt the joint and as far as I can tell, the tendon is not slipped. I have a very hard time feeling it though. I tried straightening her leg and pushing the joint onto the leg, if it was slipped maybe I pushed it on, but I really have no idea what I am feeling for or if I am feeling a slipped tendon or not. I dont think it is slipped but I could be wrong. I have not dealt with one before.

what else should I do for her?

I would keep her boot on and let her alone...it could take more than a week to see any improvement with her toes...my little guy "Peaches" the Jap bantam roo....had curled under toes but when he started perching and needed to wrap them on the branch they uncurled even more than they had when I kept the boot on...I kept using the boot until the toes no longer curled under...as long as they were flat I figured it wouldn't do any harm for them to be crooked"Peaches with his boot

Quote:

this is the studly "Peaches" today
lol.png

Thursday is lock down for me woohoo I think I'm most excited to see my silkies but seeing my ees and polish will rock as well fixing to construct plastic dividers for my incubator out of 2 liter soda bottles so I will be able to keep my Ees seperated from the barnyard mix my brother has me hatching for him

I would keep her boot on and let her alone...it could take more than a week to see any improvement with her toes...my little guy "Peaches" the Jap bantam roo....had curled under toes but when he started perching and needed to wrap them on the branch they uncurled even more than they had when I kept the boot on...I kept using the boot until the toes no longer curled under...as long as they were flat I figured it wouldn't do any harm for them to be crooked"Peaches with his boot

okay... thank you so much!!!
I re-read the poultry podiatry site and it says to keep her in the chair for 5 days!!! wow that is a lot longer than I was thinking not sure it will last that long. also says to take her out of the chair to do 9x 1-3min physical therapy sessions per day with her where I help her balance/walk using the right leg muscles. ha I dont know that 9 is realistic for me but we will try!

today she has improved to balancing on her hock joints. previously she could not stand/balance at all, so while it is a very very small change, I think it is progress...
fl.gif

I am on day 14 and my humidity throughout the hatch has roughly went down to 10% while i would not be gone and at some times i will have like 60% humidity.. think my eggs are still good to go? can the low and, previously high humidity kill my chicks?

I can tell you that I've had the same issues the last few months but all has gone just fine...no stuck chicks
no troubles hatching themselves

Back
Top Bottom