Jan./Feb. 2014 hatch a long

Update on my hatch: As of now (out of 23 ) I have 18 hatched out, 3 pipped, and 2 seemingly duds at the moment...One of the pipped ones has zipped partially but has been sitting in there since early this morning (Come out already! lol) I am a little bit worried about the 2 that haven't pipped yet, although I know that they could take longer) There is a HORRIBLE smell that started to come out of the bator and I'm worried that one of them has died....
sickbyc.gif
I have never smelled a rotten egg before, so I don't know if that is what this smell is but it's BAD. Do I wait a day or 2 more to check them and risk a bad egg catastrophe or pull them out and candle them? I'm torn...I don't want to mess up the other eggs but.....
hu.gif
What do you guys think????
old.gif

Here's a pic of one of my babies:

Edited for spelling & the pic

Last edited:
[COLOR=0000CD]Update on my hatch: As of now (out of 23 ) I have 18 hatched out, 3 pipped, and 2 seemingly duds at the moment...One of the pipped ones has zipped partially but has been sitting in there since early this morning (Come out already! lol) I am a little bit worried about the 2 that haven't pipped yet, although I know that they could take longer) There is a HORRIBLE smell that started to come out of the bator and I'm worried that one of them has died....[/COLOR]:sick  [COLOR=0000CD]I have never smelled a rotten egg before, so I don't know if that is what this smell is but it's BAD. Do I wait a day or 2 more to check them and risk a bad egg catastrophe or pull them out and candle them? I'm torn...I don't want to mess up the other eggs but.....[/COLOR]:confused:  [COLOR=0000CD]What do you guys think???? [/COLOR]:old  

Edited for spelling

Pull the unpipped eggs out first and smell them. If it were me I'd want to prevent an explosion of infected egg material. If it isn't one of them, check the other hatching eggs - especially the partially zipped one that hasn't progressed since morning. The bators do start to stink by the 3rd day, but it isn't a rotten egg smell. Bad eggs do develop a smell like a rotten egg.

Last edited:
Pull the unpipped eggs out first and smell them. If it were me is want to prevent an explosion of infected egg material. If it isn't one of them, check the other hatching eggs - especially the partially zipped one that hasn't progressed since morning. The bators do start to stink by the 3rd day, but it isn't a rotten egg smell.
They are pooing a lot in they so maybe that's it? I don't even know what rotten egg smells like lol ( I really don't want to, but in this case it would be nice to know the difference) hopefully the 2 others that have pipped will zip shortly and I can just worry about the 2 possibly duds ( and my slow poke) I had one other chick that had a hard time getting out of the shell (I think it was in the wrong position) Now it can't get up on it's own, and I really want to get it out and dry it...I hope it makes it

Here is how it started out during hatch:

I don't know if this was the wrong position but none of my other ones were like this

At time of hatch early this morning:

Now...still can't get up:

Do you guys think that by drying it off and getting some electrolytes in it will help?

Edited to add some pics

Last edited:
i have three eggs doing stuff so far today...one has a huge hole and is trying to zip and the other 2 have just externally pipped but that something considering today is just day 19

cant wait to see what one of these three look like dry and fluffy...hatch chickies hatch!

They are pooing a lot in they so maybe that's it? I don't even know what rotten egg smells like lol ( I really don't want to, but in this case it would be nice to know the difference) hopefully the 2 others that have pipped will zip shortly and I can just worry about the 2 possibly duds ( and my slow poke) I had one other chick that had a hard time getting out of the shell (I think it was in the wrong position) Now it can't get up on it's own, and I really want to get it out and dry it...I hope it makes it

Here is how it started out during hatch:

I don't know if this was the wrong position but none of my other ones were like this

At time of hatch early this morning:

Now...still can't get up:

Do you guys think that by drying it off and getting some electrolytes in it will help?

Edited to add some pics
see how swollen it's belly is... it's full of yummy nutrients from the yolk sack. it is going to take at least a day, maybe 2 days, for the swelling to go down and for it's little body to process it all.
it's probably throwing off it's balance, etc. it can take a little white for them to get their legs to work properly... can you post new pics in 24 hrs to reassess?
it will dry inside the incubator.... just wait

Last edited:
see how swollen it's belly is... it's full of yummy nutrients from the yolk sack. it is going to take at least a day, maybe 2 days, for the swelling to go down and for it's little body to process it all.
it's probably throwing off it's balance, etc. it can take a little white for them to get their legs to work properly... can you post new pics in 24 hrs to reassess?
it will dry inside the incubator.... just wait
Yes, I will def post more pics with updates. Thanks, I feel much better I was worried because all the rest of the chicks are getting up, running around stumbling around, and falling asleep on EVERYTHING lol and this one hasn't been able to get up at all, but I will be patient and give 'em some more "chill" time. I just didn't want to not do something if I should intervene, but it's reassuring to know it still just needs time

Twitch the cuddle bug

The ladies

"Ginger" Spice

Princess "Peach"

And the four unnamed hooligans

I believe these two are the barred rocks

Which I believe makes these the GLW. I love their little faces. :)

Last edited:
Just took the OEGs to their owner today. Now I'm going to clean out the incubator and throw in some d'uccle and polkie(silkie/polish) eggs.
YaY! I can't wait to try to get some Silkie/Polish mixes to incubate from mine when my Silkie Roo figures out how to best go about making the girls like him lol Can't wait to see pics!

Back
Top Bottom