January 1, 2011 Quail Hatch Along

I have a barn and good heat lamps. Worked grate to brood the first quail I got not long ago. They will be the ones I will get my first eggs from to hatch out.

All you people with barns, envy. I am just about ready to ask JJMR to hit the button that transports his barn here. I just want to borrow a barn just for a few weeks. Then I can get my girls dark enough for a rest. Just a few weeks, that's all they need. I'll transport it back after their rest.

Guess I am going to have to put some black ground cloth up to cut the light somemore, cause I have another pen starting to lay so its not dark enough in their little world. If that doesn't work, I give up. Until I can make some changes after Spring and change direction with them.

I was just out there to give them feed and water. They are singing - they are having a good ole time - its party time in the quail quarters. Probably because they are getting the young ones to lay those eggs. They are all celebrating, I tell you. Coturnix in tennis shoes or is it sandals.

Oh, and here come the intensive care birds in the house. Guess they are feeling better, cause 1 layed her first egg, too. And they are covered and darkened. Make that two.

Depends on your set up and the eggs, and the air and the time of year, along with their temp and humidity. I have them start hatching sometimes at 14 days, mostly at 18 but as long as 19 days. They are going to hatch when they are ready that's for sure.

I did notice that my eggs are more consistent in hatching (around the same time) as others that I bring in, well so far. No matter if driven or shipped, they hatch differently, maybe I am not letting those settle long enough. Don't know.

Isn't it boring, once you set them and you check on them for temp and humidity and you get everything ready for them. Its just a waiting game. We need some excitment out there. This time Xmas will distract us, but still. I want more to anticipate.

Wow, I completely missed this thread. But I had to set a bunch of chicken eggs for someone and threw quail eggs in with them. I did that on Thursday, so I'm only a day behind: hurrrah. I didn't pay attention to what time of the year they hatched, but I'm happy I will be able to (sort of) ring in the new year with another batch of quail.

They are emerald green, and have a rough but smooth texture, hard to describe. I have to hand turn them because they are so giant!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom