January 2020 Hatch along

They're mostly Silverudd's Blue with a few Olive Eggers (SB x FBCM). 😁 Some do look like penguins!
Olive eggers!!! My favorite! I lost mine and it's been the only chicken I've lost out of my flock. She always had reproductive issues.

I hope I can get another one some day!

Do you sell your chicks or do you keep them? I always like knowing what people do with their chicks.

Olive eggers!!! My favorite! I lost mine and it's been the only chicken I've lost out of my flock. She always had reproductive issues.

I hope I can get another one some day!

Do you sell your chicks or do you keep them? I always like knowing what people do with their chicks.
Sorry to hear about your OE. 🙁 Hope you do get another someday!

I keep some and sell some...couldn't keep them all, even if I wanted to (and there's the hatching habit, lol) without expanding infrastructure a lot.

Sorry to hear about your OE. 🙁 Hope you do get another someday!

I keep some and sell some...couldn't keep them all, even if I wanted to (and there's the hatching habit, lol) without expanding infrastructure a lot.
I usually only keep about one or two out of every hatch that I do. So far it's worked well for me. When we move I will have several extra large coops so I never have to worry about room.

I usually only keep about one or two out of every hatch that I do. So far it's worked well for me. When we move I will have several extra large coops so I never have to worry about room.
Nice - seems like a good practice to keep numbers reasonable! If I just had chickens, that would be one thing, but there are a number of other animals here already (due in part to my, shall we say, active year-round hatching - if it's an egg, I'll try to hatch it 😜).

Are you planning to move soon?

Nice - seems like a good practice to keep numbers reasonable! If I just had chickens, that would be one thing, but there are a number of other animals here already (due in part to my, shall we say, active year-round hatching - if it's an egg, I'll try to hatch it 😜).

Are you planning to move soon?
Yes by next year we want to buy 5+ acres with no restrictions. Right now we are on 3 acres and barely using any of it but our chickens have a huge run that's about 7000 sq ft but we are increasing it probably in February when it warms up.

OMG its day 20 already! I better get the brooder out of the shed and set it up now. All 18 fertilised went into lockdown yesterday. 2 of the bought eggs weren't fertilised, so i took them out and made scrambled eggs for the dog with them, since they cost me 2€ a piece, I wasn't going to let them go to waste.

I have build a barrier for lockdown, because I want to know which chicks came out of the coffee cream coloured shells and which came out of the browner shells. The browner ones will get a brown ring on their leg, so I can see what colour they get and if they got the gene or not.
I only want the coffee cream coloured eggs in future breedings. I love that colour and think suits the Light Sussex much better.

OMG its day 20 already! I better get the brooder out of the shed and set it up now. All 18 fertilised went into lockdown yesterday. 2 of the bought eggs weren't fertilised, so i took them out and made scrambled eggs for the dog with them, since they cost me 2€ a piece, I wasn't going to let them go to waste.

I have build a barrier for lockdown, because I want to know which chicks came out of the coffee cream coloured shells and which came out of the browner shells. The browner ones will get a brown ring on their leg, so I can see what colour they get and if they got the gene or not.
I only want the coffee cream coloured eggs in future breedings. I love that colour and think suits the Light Sussex much better.
So excited to follow along! Would love to see the pretty eggs you're talking about.

Here are the coffee cream and light brown next to each other in the incubator. You'll probably think I'm nuts, because there is hardly that much of a difference! But there it is. I'll be breeding with those who lay the lightest eggs.

Attachments

• sussex eggs.png
    sussex eggs.png
    956.7 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom