Jenny with neck wound

featherbottom

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 13, 2016
Please help I just noticed my 1-year-old Jenny has a very deep wound on the back of her neck that was not there yesterday. She shares her coop with her sister, my four other chickens sleep on the roost on the other side of the coop. She's been extremely broody for the last few weeks hard to get her off for nest.The two jennies have been known to get into fights, but this doesn't look like something a turkey could have done to the other. I don't know if something got in her coop And bit her or if there's an infection. I'm not for sure what to do. If somebody could please give me their opinion on what they think might have happened to her I would greatly appreciate it. Also anything that I can do to make her feel better and so that it doesn't get infected, Should I wrap it? I sprayed Vetericnyn Plus on it should I try to wrap it even though it would go around her neck?

Attachments

• turkey.jpg
    turkey.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 10
I don't think you should try to wrap it at all. It may heal faster if it can breathe. How deep is the wound? It's hard to tell from the picture. Vetericyn is the best thing you could put on it. What does the wound look like? Is it a long scrape, a cut, or a puncture? Is there anything sharp she may have gotten caught on?

Could something have gotten to her through fencing or through a narrow opening? I would get some Hibiclens chlorhexidene and add some water and clean the wound twice a day. Then apply plain antibiotic ointment twice a day. Keep her separated so that she doesn’t get pecked, and away from flies that may infest the wound. Vetericyn or saline are fine to use, but the chlorhexidene may help prevent infection at first.

Back
Top Bottom