Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Kathy,
My boy came from eggs that were said to be, by the seller, from his flock of 50 birds he was " working on" and were a cross between his and "Maria's birds". Notice the quotes. If you go way back when this thread started you'll find those words around the 7th or 8th page. Anyway I did not ask about the feet color first. I took it for granted that these birds were SOP or at least close.
I'm not saying his birds are not SOP, but the birds I hatched from his eggs are not as you now know. Heck it could just be a fluke and bad luck on my part. I don't know where those long tail feathers came from. I wish I could find a pic of another breed with those tail feathers to compare.

Billjr Maybe your birds came from Sandhill They claim to have Maria Halls line but the ones I have seen are shaped more like yours with the extremely long tail feathers. Unfortunately as a breeder Maria Hall has no control over what happens to her line once she sells it. I have also heard that alot of the giants are not as tall as others To me they look more like blue orpingtons than giants.JMHO

Quote:
I did a little detective work and believe I found the breeder in question. This person says that they got eggs from all over the country to begin their Giants. If so, then the breeder's birds would have to be 1 generation away from Sandhill (if they contain any Sandhill blood) and mixed with ? I have 9 (8 that are about 9 months old) from Sandhill and every one of them has yellow feet. Sandhill says they have Golda Miller's line.
Dale-Ann

DAFox,
Do you have any pics of cockerels? I'm interested in the tail feather length. My guy's are probably 18in long as you can see from the pics.
47154_100_1337.jpg
47154_100_1341.jpg

Last edited:
Some breeder who sell show quality birds also sell what they call pet quality birds. Make sure you know what you are getting befor you spend alot of money on birds someone said are from so and so stock.

Its been a while since I've posted here, but I wanted to share some news with everyone- I have a BROODY black Jersey Giant!! She went broody about new years eve and has stuck like glue to her nest since! She has 13 eggs under her and I bet she could fit more, but I decided to keep it at 13 just to give them all a better chance at survival since it has been soooo cold around here, I didnt want any eggs to catch a chill on the outter edges.

The eggs are some of hers and some of all the other assorted hens from my mixed flock. I am happy that I only have JG roos- so any yellow-footed babies are pure Jersey!! AND my roos are either blue, or have the blue gene, and I have a few blue and splash hens laying, so, we'll see what hatches! Cant wait!!!

Back
Top Bottom