1. ChickenCrazay

ChickenCrazay Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2014
    not a major emergency but whatever it is i want to catch it before it gets bad.

OK so Josefina (my Easter Egger show hen) has had watery poop on and off for 3 months. the poo has white streaks in it and she has laid 1 egg in the last 2 weeks.

she is this years hen so i would expect good egg production. laid for about 3 weeks before she stopped.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  2. mrsc1951

mrsc1951 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Largo, Florida
    Has Josefina and the rest of your flock been wormed? If not, that's the best place to start.

3. ChickenCrazay

Mar 21, 2014
    is there a cheap wormer?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Fenbendazole (SafeGuard, Panacur) equine wormers are both good, and under $10. Use a pea sized amount or 1/2 ml for a standard chicken, and repeat in 10 days. The SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer is twice the price, but will treat many more chickens, containing many more doses. Here is a link for the horse wormer that is $9, and you will find these in most any feed store: http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail....=84506855803&gclid=CM3zn4T_ucECFWoLMgod1DUA4A

5. ChickenCrazay

Mar 21, 2014
    alright thanks, ill tell you if it gets worse

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Better yet, deworm them all and see if it gets BETTER.

1 person likes this.
  7. ChickenCrazay

Mar 21, 2014
  8. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    I read the attached link with interest, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but the article seems to come to the conclusion that there is insufficient evidence to support the claim that pumpkin seeds can be used as either a preventative or a treatment for worms.

What you may be seeing however, is a result in your chicken from the consumption of pumpkin flesh, which if consumed may lead to a reduction in the symptoms of diarrhoea. That is, your girl's stools may be becoming firmer and less likely to take on the watery consistency you originally reported. I myself have used mashed pumpkin flesh on several occasions to treat my cat for diarrhoea, with great success.

If it was my chicken, I would be treating her with an approved wormer, and doing repeat treatments every 6 months as a preventative measure. It is normal for chickens have a worm load, and they can manage quite well if the load is light. However, please don't fall under the dangerous assumption that "if you can't see any worms then she must be worm free".

- Krista

9. ChickenCrazay

Mar 21, 2014
    well my hen is completely worm free so im just going with that

10. ChickenCrazay

Mar 21, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by