July 2015 Hatch A Long HAL

my 4... 20% hatch rate sucks, but it's better than 0...

Names: Omelet (yellow), Drumstick (has skinny legs), Benedict, and Fluffy (green egg, pea comb, and fluffy cheeks)

I know the names aren't that creative, but they work for me.
True 20% is better than none, it will be better next time.

my 4... 20% hatch rate sucks, but it's better than 0... Names: Omelet (yellow), Drumstick (has skinny legs), Benedict, and Fluffy (green egg, pea comb, and fluffy cheeks) I know the names aren't that creative, but they work for me.
My hatch rate wasn't much better 8/24 from start to finish and I almost lost the 8th one... I don't know why I just felt something was not right so I candled the remaining eggs... I had a humidity issue really late on and all 5 were shrink wwrapped... 2 Japanese bantams looked smaller than the 3rd in gestation and since Japanese bantams have the lethal short legged gene maybe that's why they failed on top of being shrink wrapped? Of the silkies that were shrink wrapped 1 was malpositioned and the other seemed to have passed just before being able to pip.. My last chick I checked on yep shrink wrapped with just it's beak out unable to move so I had to assist... caused it to bleed a little too and was afraid I was going to lose it but that lil chick is fine now :)

Well we only had 2 out of 15 for our first broody hen attempt. I think it was just too blasted hot and she was such a dedicated first timer she over cooked them. The two eggs that hatched were the two that were at the very front edge of the nest so I think they remained the coolest.

We cracked open the remaining 9 that were still on the nest today and they were quite developed and rotten. Looks like they were all starting off okay.

The good news is my mama hen is doing fantastic with her babies. I let everyone out together for awhile this afternoon and the other hens are a bit spooked and very respectful.

A few photos of our chocolate orp babies with their black australorp mama!

54 coturnix chicks so far. 3 lavender orpington chicks also. Will add a pic of the lavenders ASAP.

Yay for the hatching babies. That is a lot of quail. :weee

I candled 9 last night and 20 tonight. The Brahma eggs are giving me the hardest time. I bought 7. One was clear, one quit early, I just discovered a late quitter and one has a malpositioned air sac. I guess the BCM could be trouble too, but I can't tell at this point. The air sac issue might be ok, depending on the chick. Tomorrow I'll candle the last 10. And hopefully be patient enough to wait to lockdown day to candle again.

I set 5 Olive Egger eggs (BCM x Isbar) under my broody buff orpington hen in the evening of July 9th which means hatch day of 29th I believe. This will be my first time hatching from fertilized eggs. Exciting!

Well we only had 2 out of 15 for our first broody hen attempt. I think it was just too blasted hot and she was such a dedicated first timer she over cooked them. The two eggs that hatched were the two that were at the very front edge of the nest so I think they remained the coolest.

We cracked open the remaining 9 that were still on the nest today and they were quite developed and rotten. Looks like they were all starting off okay.

The good news is my mama hen is doing fantastic with her babies. I let everyone out together for awhile this afternoon and the other hens are a bit spooked and very respectful.

A few photos of our chocolate orp babies with their black australorp mama!

She looks like such a proud mama!

Back
Top Bottom