July 2022 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
So only one external PIP so far and all but two have internally pipped now DAY 20.
The last of last weeks chicks went home to their new home today.
On another note I adopted a little wild chick this morning. Was not my intention but I couldn’t let the poor little thing run around all by itself chirping with no mama and fall prey to the feral cats that inhabit the area.
My husband mentioned he had seen it around by itself the past several days while I was out of town. Good thing my daughter is in Japan or she would’ve stopped me!🤣
She is the more practical of the two of us.
She would have said something like “circle of life”…

I dusted the chick in permethrin and gave her a dose of worm medicine, as it being a feral bird is likely infested.
I’m trying to see if I can graft her to my broody mama but so far the broody is not having it. She has 2 chicks already. I have the chick in a little separate off section of their pen, so she can still see them and be close to them. She was quite unhappy being alone. Hopefully this “look don’t touch“ method works. We’ll see in the next few days.
Poor little thing must’ve been starving she ate so much her crop looks like it’s going to burst!😊
73022C88-D6F9-4D79-B215-8313C678FBEA.jpeg

So only one external PIP so far and all but two have internally pipped now DAY 20.
The last of last weeks chicks went home to their new home today.
On another note I adopted a little wild chick this morning. Was not my intention but I couldn’t let the poor little thing run around all by itself chirping with no mama and fall prey to the feral cats that inhabit the area.
My husband mentioned he had seen it around by itself the past several days while I was out of town. Good thing my daughter is in Japan or she would’ve stopped me!🤣
She is the more practical of the two of us.
She would have said something like “circle of life”…

I dusted the chick in permethrin and gave her a dose of worm medicine, as it being a feral bird is likely infested.
I’m trying to see if I can graft her to my broody mama but so far the broody is not having it. She has 2 chicks already. I have the chick in a little separate off section of their pen, so she can still see them and be close to them. She was quite unhappy being alone. Hopefully this “look don’t touch“ method works. We’ll see in the next few days.
Poor little thing must’ve been starving she ate so much her crop looks like it’s going to burst!😊View attachment 3186517
That’s too cool. Best of luck!

any ideas on my broody? She has been broody since right around when I put my eggs in the incubator. I didn't put them under her for 2 reasons. She was just broody in March/beginning of April and raised 2 chicks then went broody again the end of June. I didn't want her losing a bunch more weight so I kicked her off the nest a few times a day and to eat more and didn't want the eggs not being sat on that much. Plus I really want to see some hatch. LOL

Well it has been warm here this week and VERY humid but up till yesterday she only went off once a day for about 30min maybe an hour and then a quick one the times I kicked her off. Even being let out to free range she was back in on her own pretty quick. Well yesterday she was off for 3 hrs in the morning..... Then I had to clean the nest boxes out in the afternoon (I have mama's and babies that stay in them overnight still) so when I did hers I kicked her out then. Well she was out for about 4 hrs that time She went back in well before dusk (was out from about 2:30-6:30, dusk is a bit about 830) and slept in the nest box but then went back out at 5:30 shortly after everyone else. it is now 8am and she is still off......... Is she breaking on her own before the 3 weeks is up? last time she was broody for about 4-4.5 weeks before she hatched her baby (and I gave her 1 that hatched in the incubator)..... I am planning on having her raise the babies that hatch this time. She is sitting on fake eggs. Should I put one of the eggs from the incubator in so she can hear the chirping in a day or two? or maybe feel it moving around now so she knows she has live babies? I don't want her to break right before they are hatched....

Back
Top Bottom