July 2022 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
I'm in! This is my first hatch along.
I'm going to start four guinea eggs today that should hatch on the 24th, and 1 dozen to one and half dozen chicken eggs. Rare breeds and mutts. I love my mutts. :D I also just hatched four chicks yesterday and am picking up four one-day-old Ayam Cemani chicks today. I'm a little scattered right now... extreme happiness.
Welcome! It took me awhile to find hatchalong. Now I can’t imagine setting eggs without one. So much fun. Lots of shared knowledge.

You like mixes? Like a proud parent that’s all the encouragement I need. Here’s our latest batch. They just turned 2 weeks old. My husband describes them as “rowdy”. Even my purchased chicks (Marans) seem to be roo heavy this year.

We’ll separate out the boys around 6-8 weeks. I usually call it The Bachlor Pad. This year I think I’m going with “The Stew Crew”. Because there are so many and that’s the destination for most of them.

A764B9FB-5089-4140-A91E-70F8695491F6.jpeg
5500DD1E-36EC-4E5A-8AA8-6BEC471A96D7.jpeg
EFFA169A-3E66-45D9-A91C-0A25960F227F.jpeg
25B183BA-63EE-45AE-9D5F-53F0BE54C880.jpeg

He’s a handsome fellow! Has he been nice so far? Was he straight run or an accidental rooster?

I’ve always wanted an Amberlink. However, all my recently hatched barnyard mixes will almost certainly be brown egg layers. So it’ll probably be years before I bring in any other brown layers.
Well, both actually lol. I went to tsc to get some babies, with intentions to just get barred Rocks. They had SR Barred Rocks, which I got 6 of, then I saw the "Asian Blacks" and saw there was one that didn't look like the others, so I got it. AND I saw a brooder with a bunch of random chicks in it. I asked the lady what the white ones in there were, and she said "We have no idea. We even called the hatchery trying to find out what they were, but they couldn't figure it out either." So, of course, I was like, "Gimme 3!!!" LOL. After about 5 mins on the hoover hatchery website, I figured out they were Amberlinks, and sure enough, as soon as their feathers started coming in, I saw little red patches. Turns out all 3 were boys tho, lol. That's ok. I wanted at least 1 or 2 boys, even though I would've liked for 1 of the Amberlinks to be a girl. The "Asian Black" turned out to be a Black Jersey Giant pullet, which became pretty obvious once she got nearly twice as big as the Amberlink boys. They're good chickens. The BR are super friendly, as are the boys, but "Derpy" (she had a funny little face as a chick) is a scaredy cat who won't really let me near her. All the others run up for pets and treats when I show up, lol. They'll do for now until I have my Ams all grown up, at which point all the boys will probably go to freezer camp (unless I have a really stellar boy out of these Amberlinks). The girls get to stay as long as they earn their keep, or I knight send a few to my sister in law who is thinking of starting her flock over because she's having a problem with egg eating amongst her girls. We'll see.

Welcome! It took me awhile to find hatchalong. Now I can’t imagine setting eggs without one. So much fun. Lots of shared knowledge.

You like mixes? Like a proud parent that’s all the encouragement I need. Here’s our latest batch. They just turned 2 weeks old. My husband describes them as “rowdy”. Even my purchased chicks (Marans) seem to be roo heavy this year.

We’ll separate out the boys around 6-8 weeks. I usually call it The Bachlor Pad. This year I think I’m going with “The Stew Crew”. Because there are so many and that’s the destination for most of them.

View attachment 3164062
View attachment 3164063
View attachment 3164065
View attachment 3164066
It does seem super fun so far, and I haven't even started! Waiting for my purchased 15 eggs (3 extra!!!) eggs to warm up. Have a Cream Legbar, two Barbezioux, three copper marans, one isbar, one Swedish flower, two red blue laced wyandottes, two Pita Pinta Asturiana, one golden deathlayer, two Russian chickens (not Orloff). Can't wait! I'll throw in a couple more mutts. I love my mutts, so much. They're the best. Your cheepers are absolutely lovely! A couple look like eastereggers? https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-chicks-hatched-yesterday.1535064/

It does seem super fun so far, and I haven't even started! Waiting for my purchased 15 eggs (3 extra!!!) eggs to warm up. Have a Cream Legbar, two Barbezioux, three copper marans, one isbar, one Swedish flower, two red blue laced wyandottes, two Pita Pinta Asturiana, one golden deathlayer, two Russian chickens (not Orloff). Can't wait! I'll throw in a couple more mutts. I love my mutts, so much. They're the best. Your cheepers are absolutely lovely! A couple look like eastereggers? https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-chicks-hatched-yesterday.1535064/
Are your eggs from Foxfire Farms in Idaho? Those are all breeds I think Cindy has.

Good eyes! 2 hatched from blue eggs. 3 from Olive eggs. I didn't see the flocks but imagine Easter egger or Ameraucana is in their lineage somewhere close. The roo with the blue egg hens was Road Island Red. The roo with the Olive hens was Blue Laced Red Wyandotte.

Ok, totally off topic, but I'm trying to distract myself....I have 4 kittens that are about 3.5 months old, and my favorite (Corporal Nobbs- a girl, named after a Terry Pratchett character by DH) just recently had a dislocated leg. We think she fell from the tree in the front yard because they've been climbing it and exploring up there a lot. Anyway, her leg was at an almost 90* angle the first day it happened. I was so worried she'd never be able to walk right. Fast forward to today (about a week later) and she's getting around just fine! Didn't even have a chance to take her to the vet before she started to improve greatly. Kittens and chicks are so resilient! Here's a pic of my little trooper! This is before the injury:
View attachment 3163822

And here she is this morning. Her leg (back right) is still a little bent looking, but she moves around normally now.
View attachment 3163825
Sorry it's not chicken related...I just love her so much and I'm so glad she's doing better. Thought you all would want to meet her too! ❤
They sure are! My little Gabbie d'uccle literally flew right out of the box the day I picked em up from the post office at 1 day old! I thought for sure she was a goner! The box was on the kitchen counter and she fell on her side onto wood floor!
Freaked me out! Hadn't even had a chance to get em out yet and done killed one!
I quickly picked her up rubbed her a little and put her back in the box and she perked right back up!
Then I realized d'uccles are NOT like Satins and Silkies! They were flying around and hopping up and down on top of heat plate so I had to move em again into larger surrounded brooder in garage to keep em safe!
A week later if she didn't fly right out as I opened it and land on concrete floor! She's still doing great though and no ill effects whatsoever!
Carazy!

Awww, I love BBS babies! As they're coming out and you're trying to figure out what color you got...I love it! It's so much fun.
Everyone please give me strength to make it thru today. Yesterday was the longest day ever waiting for my eggs, and I have a feeling today is gonna be just as bad, if not worse. Distract me with candling/chick pics? I'd be ever so grateful. And don't worry, I will share mine as soon as I've got them! I plan to let you guys see them as soon as they arrive, lol!
What's the update?!
Thought of u first thing this morning when I added water to the incubators!!!

Well, it has updated as saying out for delivery...:hmm I hope that just means it's at the PO waiting for me. I really don't want it to make the extra trip with the mail carrier. The seller said she put Hold for Pickup on it, so I really hope they do. I'm still gonna head up there at 9 o'clock when they open and see if it's there. Sigh. So stressful!

Well, it has updated as saying out for delivery...:hmm I hope that just means it's at the PO waiting for me. I really don't want it to make the extra trip with the mail carrier. The seller said she put Hold for Pickup on it, so I really hope they do. I'm still gonna head up there at 9 o'clock when they open and see if it's there. Sigh. So stressful!
I'd call em soon as they open and ask em!!!
Or u done done that?

Back
Top Bottom