July 2022 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Yeah, they actually called me twice. The first time I slapped at the phone til it stopped making the dreadful noises that were disturbing my much needed slumber, the 2nd time I thought someone was hurt cuz of the back to back calls, but it was just my fave lady at the PO making sure my butt was up, lol! And yes, I will be using the after hours door to go get them, if hubby ever gets back....
Honestly, I think they’re a bit sadistic and actually enjoy waking people up. That’s my theory anyway. 🤣 :caf

Hey I had a quick question and figured you awesome people could help me out. It's day 16 on my eggs, so I removed the egg turner. I have a mix of bantam and standard eggs incubating. So what day would you call lockdown and increase the humidity?
Most bantam eggs hatch the same as standard eggs. My Silkies sometime hatch on DAY 20 or very early DAY 21. Usually pip DAY 19.
When you add water depends on your ambient humidity and what method of incubation you are doing. I don’t usually add water until DAY 19, so I usually stop turning the eggs and get them all set on DAY 17. Depends on how your air cells have been looking and how the incubation has gone so far. Sometimes they need a little more time to draw down before adding humidity.😊

Most bantam eggs hatch the same as standard eggs. My Silkies sometime hatch on DAY 20 or very early DAY 21. Usually pip DAY 19.
When you add water depends on your ambient humidity and what method of incubation you are doing. I don’t usually add water until DAY 19, so I usually stop turning the eggs and get them all set on DAY 17. Depends on how your air cells have been looking and how the incubation has gone so far. Sometimes they need a little more time to draw down before adding humidity.😊
Thank you! This is my first experience hatching bantams so I'm kinda clueless. Haha.

Silkies and hopefully some silkie x EE crosses but they could be straight EE. It'll be a surprise. Haha
Oh yes that’s right! I forgot.😊 They should be good to all hatch together, no problem. If you are dry incubating then adding water at day 19 is usually fine. How have your air cells looked?

Oh yes that’s right! I forgot.😊 They should be good to all hatch together, no problem. If you are dry incubating then adding water at day 19 is usually fine. How have your air cells looked?
Air cells look good, seem to be growing like they should. And I don't do dry hatching. Nothing would make it, I live in a literal desert. I keep humidity around 45% until lockdown.

Air cells look good, seem to be growing like they should. And I don't do dry hatching. Nothing would make it, I live in a literal desert. I keep humidity around 45% until lockdown.
Yes definitely depends on your individual conditions! I couldn’t hatch anything here in Hawaii if I didn’t dry incubate!🤣
So increasing your humidity is the same in either method. You can do it from day 18 as most people do, the only reason this is the general rule of thumb is to make sure that people who aren’t experienced get the humidity up before it’s late. In my current hatch, which are on day 20 today, water was added first yesterday when my daughter saw the first external PIP. I check for internal pips when I am home but didn’t want to task her with this.😊

My hatch is winding down. I have 2 pipped eggs and 2 eggs with no pips left. Everyone else has hatched or DIS.

One Silverudd’s didn’t fully absorb its yolk. It’s in a container back in the incubator right now. I’ll keep it there until I know for certain it’s on the mend or needs to be culled, couple days. It’s very active so I’m hoping it’ll pull through.

I’ll post final numbers and pictures out of the incubator this evening. It was a bumper crop of Legbars. I know that with certainty.

View attachment 3175744View attachment 3175743View attachment 3175745
Such cuties in there!

Back
Top Bottom