July 2022 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Such lovely darlings! @Gammas Bearded Babies , makes me want to hatch some silkies. I don't like silkies, but boy is that chick cute!

I'm on Day 10. 5am will be my halfway point. So far I've lost one egg out of 21. I'll candle tomorrow... Or today... and tomorrow... ;)
Just 1 outta 21 not bad at all!
My lil one is sooooooo lonely! The others are gonna wait til tonight I know cuz that's when it's technically 21! And you'd think I would stop setting em so they hatch during the night cuz I'm gonna be up with em...you know...doing the whole
cheeping at eggs, cooing at them like mama hens, candling in the middle of the night, etc.)
Cuz I am totally CARAZZZZZYYYYYY! 😆

Just 1 outta 21 not bad at all!
My lil one is sooooooo lonely! The others are gonna wait til tonight I know cuz that's when it's technically 21! And you'd think I would stop setting em so they hatch during the night cuz I'm gonna be up with em...you know...doing the whole

Cuz I am totally CARAZZZZZYYYYYY! 😆
I'm very happy so far! I've only incubated twice before, hatched 5 out of six goose eggs and four out of 7 chickens (two clear, one death). It's sad how lonely they get. My second incubation hatched a little over a week ago and my Barred Rock x mutt was at least 12 hours before the others. We're all crazy here. :wee

They're home! She sent 10 of each (only ordered 6 of each) and they look great! No cracks this time at least. Gonna let them rest for a bit, then candle to check air cells and set tonight after dark. I'm thinking I won't see ANYTHING in the Marans eggs, some are super dark and the ones that aren't are super speckled, lol. Just gonna have to sniff and hope for the best. Or, who knows, maybe my flashlight will be strong enough to see thru them...it is pretty powerful....
Only problem now is that there's too many to fit in the turner, so looks like everyone is going on their sides and getting hand turned. Gonna have to set alarms to remind myself, because I always forget to turn or when I last turned. 🙃 I'm excited tho! Some of those Birchen Marans eggs are super dark and beautiful! They're BIG too! Eeeeeeeee!!!❤

Pics!!!
Lavender Ameraucanas
20220706_101356.jpg

Birchen Marans
20220706_101347.jpg

Pics!!!
Lavender Ameraucanas
View attachment 3175846

Birchen Marans
View attachment 3175847
Those red two, second from the bottom, are stunning!!! I hope those both hatch for you.

I actually have a really good technique for candling dark eggs. It needs to be done around day 5. I’ll dig out some old pictures and tag you. It doesn’t show veining or finer details but it’s very reliable check for development.

Those red two, second from the bottom, are stunning!!! I hope those both hatch for you.

I actually have a really good technique for candling dark eggs. It needs to be done around day 5. I’ll dig out some old pictures and tag you. It doesn’t show veining or finer details but it’s very reliable check for development.
Awesome! Thanks! I look forward to seeing them. Only ever had a couple Marans before and they were hatchery stock, so had lighter eggs than these and even those were hard to candle.

Awesome! Thanks! I look forward to seeing them. Only ever had a couple Marans before and they were hatchery stock, so had lighter eggs than these and even those were hard to candle.
Marans are rough. I have a cheap magicfly candler, and I can hardly see anything with it (three Marans in the bator right now). It won't be easy to see veining, but the heart/eye area is usually visible and the air cell is too.

Back
Top Bottom