July 2022 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Super bummed....but guess I shouldn't complain after all it was shipped eggs.
I just hate seeing so many eggs go unhatched.
I had 3 questionable ones but went ahead and kept em in for lockdown...none of them hatched. Then I had 4 DIS....one of those was a saddled air cell and then one was not a saddled air cell and it ended up in lockdown going really saddled! Anyone ever seen that happen?
Still have that same 1 trying to zip but it's struggling so not sure if it's gonna make it.
6 healthy looking (from what i can tell) are in brooder now and nappin.
If you're home, why don't you help the zipper a little bit?

I think today at 4 starts day 10 for me. One sellers eggs were all duds. cracked some and they were scrambled. :( UGH won't use that seller again first batch was duds and 2nd same. I got 2nd for half off but still not worth it.

the other seller I am THRILLED WITH!!!!!!!!!!! out of 12 eggs I have 10 doing great!!!!! Hoping they continue to do great. She will be sending me some more on the 25th (so I can be home when they are due to hatch and after so I don't worry) since my order got mixed up and I didn't get as many of one breed that I should have.

My coop is going to be a HUGE mix of ages. LOL I have some that are a bit over a year, some that are 12 weeks, then 8 weeks (but they are going to a new home this weekend), then 5 that are 3 weeks now, 1 that is 2.5 weeks. Then I have the eggs set to hatch in 11 days (will give them to my broody when they hatch) and will be setting more that will hatch in about 5.5-6 weeks. LOL at least once the last eggs hatch the older chicks will be 18 weeks, the others will be gone, most likely the ones that are 3 weeks now will be gone, then the other will be 8-9 weeks, this hatch will be about 4 weeks. so not horrible by then I guess.
Looks like a lot of chick juggling there! ❤️Luckily if they haven’t started laying yet they’re fairly easy to integrate with each other.

So the 6 babies that hatched first have been moved over to the new hatched baby brooder. This is a very small brooder that I use to teach them how to eat and drink and stay under the heat. Once I’m confident they can figure this out they go to a bigger area if they haven’t already been sold by then. For size reference to how tiny these little ones are at hatch they are sitting on a paper dessert plate.😊
4 are still drying off in the incubator and 2 are still working on hatching.
Other news, my second July hatch, which are due on July 15, look great here on day 13!
413E224A-D3D5-4D56-958E-427E7F44586C.jpeg
15B19B72-2E34-4B97-8FCC-DFE11BF50460.jpeg
31F6BA1A-2D9D-4A7E-9398-7D2ED9288EF9.jpeg
FFDCEF3F-26E3-4720-BF92-4610819EADE6.jpeg
5003C00F-3CA1-40A7-BD4E-B9838E555AD4.jpeg

So the 6 babies that hatched first have been moved over to the new hatched baby brooder. This is a very small brooder that I use to teach them how to eat and drink and stay under the heat. Once I’m confident they can figure this out they go to a bigger area if they haven’t already been sold by then. For size reference to how tiny these little ones are at hatch they are sitting on a paper dessert plate.😊
Other news, my second July hatch, which are due on July 15, look great here on day 13!View attachment 3177161View attachment 3177162View attachment 3177160View attachment 3177158View attachment 3177157
SO FLUFFY!

To answer your question @Gammas Bearded Babies , when I got home last night I candled the eggs that had not pipped yet just to see if they had internally pipped or not. I am very comfortable doing this and can do it very quickly. If I am all at in doubt if they are DIS, I put them back in the incubator and let them be, but sometimes it’s pretty obvious. The one DIS I removed had completely filled out the egg, there was no air cell to speak of. This was a pullet egg, a little bit smaller than the others. I expect the chick was too large and was unable to hatch. Another reason not to hatch pullet eggs, though the second egg from this pullet hatched just fine. Unfortunately I don’t know which one it is because I did not see them hatch! Just saw the eggshell. I mark all my eggs with weights and dates and initial of the hen that laid it, if I know.😊

Looks like a lot of chick juggling there! ❤️Luckily if they haven’t started laying yet they’re fairly easy to integrate with each other.
Thankfully everyone but the unhatched eggs are in the coop and integrated already. These eggs will go with my broody into the coop with everyone. The next batch (unless someone goes broody again. LOL) will go into the coop brooder until they are a bit older then I will integrate them around 3.5-4 weeks like I did the older chicks. :)

Other news, my second July hatch, which are due on July 15, look great here on day 13!View attachment 3177161View attachment 3177162View attachment 3177160View attachment 3177158View attachment 3177157
so cute and fluffy!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom