July Hatch-a-Long (including 4th of July hatch-a-long)

How many times per year do you hatch eggs?

• 1-2

Votes: 45 26.3%
  • 2-3

Votes: 18 10.5%
  • 3-4

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • 4-5

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I don’t count the times

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Hatchaholic

Votes: 59 34.5%

• Total voters
About the skywalker bieles... they were my first bieles also. He is a great packer, for sure! And shipped right away. My caution would be to keep an eye on those bieles in the heat though. I lost one in the first really hot spell this summer that I'm not sure if she was ever quite right, but can only think it was the heat as the remaining members of that flock are visibly umimpressed by the hot weather we've been having. They look how I feel about the heat and that is kind of droopy and uninterested in being outside. They also needed more water than they were getting from the nipple waterers and I put a pan of water out for them, but they still seem to suffer in the heat.
Thanks for this info. I currently use self filling waterers but I am planning to switch over to nipples. This makes me reconsider.

I don't have quail but I do follow a guy on youtube that has great videos for building the cages. Check out Coturnix Corner on YouTube. I know that a lot of people have followed his build instructions. I based my DYI incubator off of his design. His is smaller than mine and set up for incubating quail but that's no matter. The point is that his instructional video was detailed enough that even a complete nube like me could not only duplicate it but modify it and make it still work. He has some good ideas.

Coturnix Corner
I already watch his YouTube lol. I’m going to build mine a way I saw on a different channel. I have lots of spare wood so the things I can do are pretty limitless!

How does the chair work? My guinea has been in pipe cleaner braces and briefly in a cup, which he managed to jump out of at 2 days old - lol - since day one and is not recovering. Any tips?

I made 2 versions because the first one was a little too short. She could touch the bottom so she kept trying to escape. Lol.
The second one I made with a Temptations cat treat container, the tall rectangular kind. Then I cut the bottom off of a sock and made leg and poop holes, adjusted it so she would be chest height with the edge, and taped it all together. I’ve seen some for the more active chicks with a strap of some sort over their back to keep them in it, like the belt in a high chair. Haha.
First style - you can see her little leg wrapped with vetrap, I had also extended her leg, replaced the tendon, and wrapped in an extended position for 24 hours.
4203E5F8-9DCF-4BAE-8ACA-5B3855BAA87D.jpeg

second (better) version
EC1F17B5-4B61-4B59-897E-70D03D308959.jpeg

I’ve been documenting her in a post Here

trickiest thing is making sure she had heat but not too much, since I use a MHP and not a lamp. Although all in all, it worked out ok with her being the only one in there at the time. :)

I made 2 versions because the first one was a little too short. She could touch the bottom so she kept trying to escape. Lol.
The second one I made with a Temptations cat treat container, the tall rectangular kind. Then I cut the bottom off of a sock and made leg and poop holes, adjusted it so she would be chest height with the edge, and taped it all together. I’ve seen some for the more active chicks with a strap of some sort over their back to keep them in it, like the belt in a high chair. Haha.
First style - you can see her little leg wrapped with vetrap, I had also extended her leg, replaced the tendon, and wrapped in an extended position for 24 hours.View attachment 2246370

second (better) version
View attachment 2246371

trickiest thing is making sure she had heat but not too much, since I use a MHP and not a lamp. Although all in all, it worked out ok with her being the only one in there at the time. :)
That last one looks like a jack in the box 😂😂😂

Thanks for this info. I currently use self filling waterers but I am planning to switch over to nipples. This makes me reconsider.
I would. My other bieles don't seem to have any issue at all with the heat so I've culled those first ones out of any breeding service (still love on them though).
no, as said to FortCluck, but they are too heavy to be developing so I don't think it would make any difference.
I'm so sorry. That is always disappointing. :hugs

First style - you can see her little leg wrapped with vetrap, I had also extended her leg, replaced the tendon, and wrapped in an extended position for 24 hours.View attachment 2246370

second (better) version
View attachment 2246371

This is awesome! I need to do something like this for the little guy. I can tell you, he's not going to like it, but I think this is his ticket! Thanks!!!!

Back
Top Bottom