July Hatch-a-Long (including 4th of July hatch-a-long)

How many times per year do you hatch eggs?

• 1-2

Votes: 45 26.3%
  • 2-3

Votes: 18 10.5%
  • 3-4

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • 4-5

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I don’t count the times

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Hatchaholic

Votes: 59 34.5%

• Total voters
Pics
It would seem that I’m a victim of the dreaded “Saturday delivery” of my Delaware eggs. Tracking shows that they hit Nashville at 3am this morning, but it’s now 8am, and no call from our PO. (We are located 2 hours west of Nashville)
The other 2 deliveries, I received a call from our carrier by now, and they’re only open until 11am. This means that those eggs, if they don’t get here until Monday, will be 7 days in transit , possibly 8 or 9 days old.

This listing on eBay said they were sent “priority mail”, but I suppose that doesn’t mean they were shipped 2 day priority. Why charge me 15 bucks for shipping if they weren’t going to ship 2 day priority?
The same thing happened to me last weekend☹️

It's looking like my Biele eggs may arrive tomorrow as they are at my local distribution center about 45 minutes away. I've been burning up the pages researching and reading about hatching upright, which I get and think I can fashion something for my horizontal bator (Nurture Right 360) which usually rolls them gently. I can turn the turner off and put them in a carton or tray....

Once I do start "turning" (depending on air cells) should I just tip side to side, like upright turners do, or should I twist them?
Both?

There is not enough head space in my bator to prop an end up on the carton/home made hatching tray, so whatever I do it will be done individually and by hand.

It's looking like my Biele eggs may arrive tomorrow as they are at my local distribution center about 45 minutes away. I've been burning up the pages researching and reading about hatching upright, which I get and think I can fashion something for my horizontal bator (Nurture Right 360) which usually rolls them gently. I can turn the turner off and put them in a carton or tray....

Once I do start "turning" (depending on air cells) should I just tip side to side, like upright turners do, or should I twist them?
Both?

There is not enough head space in my bator to prop an end up on the carton/home made hatching tray, so whatever I do it will be done individually and by hand.
Can I ask where you got your beile eggs from. I just saw that my eggs are also in the area not far from home. Hopefully get them tomorrow. They just shipped Friday so I feel that is super fast the way things have been going lately with shipping.

Can I ask where you got your beile eggs from. I just saw that my eggs are also in the area not far from home. Hopefully get them tomorrow. They just shipped Friday so I feel that is super fast the way things have been going lately with shipping.
Ebay from skywalker. Mine went out Friday too and I forget who else also has Biele eggs coming from the same seller.

Both?

I have NR360s too. If the air cells are messed up and you want to try upright incubation, what I have done is to put a book under different corners of the incubator so I don't eat into that limited headspace inside. If the air cells are good, I go ahead and lay them on their sides as they do get the best turning action from the auto turner.

I have NR360s too. If the air cells are messed up and you want to try upright incubation, what I have done is to put a book under different corners of the incubator so I don't eat into that limited headspace inside. If the air cells are good, I go ahead and lay them on their sides as they do get the best turning action from the auto turner.
I thought of trying to prop up a side but wondered if it would cause the water channels to leak. Did you dry hatch or did you have issues with the water leaking when you tried that?

The eggs are out for delivery today and will probably be here around noon-ish, so I'm really hoping they traveled well and I can put them in their sides normally.

How did your propped up hatch go?

The only problem with tilting the incubator that way is that it could make the humidity a bit unpredictable. As the water runs from one side to another the surface area will change.

In addition, I'm not sure, but is that amount of gentle tilting effective?

The myshire Rosetta and Schofield silver quail eggs should be here tomorrow. Can not wait to get these two colors in my aviary.
I have thought about quail. Maybe one day. Do you have them in an enclosed aviary or do they stay outdoors? I really know very little about them.

I thought of trying to prop up a side but wondered if it would cause the water channels to leak. Did you dry hatch or did you have issues with the water leaking when you tried that?

The eggs are out for delivery today and will probably be here around noon-ish, so I'm really hoping they traveled well and I can put them in their sides normally.

How did your propped up hatch go?
Great! I hope the trip was kind to them! A thin book was enough to shift them and didn't upset the water too bad. I didn't completely fill the channels.

To be perfectly honest, I didn't notice any benefit to doing it that way. I had a lot of stugglers on hatch day and malpositioned chicks. I know no conclusions can be made from a single hatch, but now if the air cells are bad and the eggs are needing to get started I may start them out that way for a day or so and then will place them on their sides by candling time on day 7, if not a bit sooner. I find that as the chick grows the air cell will generally get squeezed back into place anyway. I'm no expert though by any means.

Back
Top Bottom