July Hatch-a-Long (including 4th of July hatch-a-long)

How many times per year do you hatch eggs?

• 1-2

Votes: 45 26.3%
  • 2-3

Votes: 18 10.5%
  • 3-4

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • 4-5

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I don’t count the times

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Hatchaholic

Votes: 59 34.5%

• Total voters
Pics
I won't be buying hardly any next year. Working on building the flock with breeds that are hard to find here and planning to hatch and sell day old chicks - full blood and specific crosses. Re-purchased the Bresse eggs that USPS messed up shipping and just ordered some Opal Legbars where I am down to 2 out of the 8 that I got in my first order (new seller).

My buff silkie just decided to go broody yesterday. But, we will just say, she is not the brightest crayon in the box. I know that she had not gotten up to eat or drink since she decided to be broody yesterday. I wouldn't be surprised if she forgot there was water and food to be honest. I picked her up and carried her to water this morning and seemed to completely forget about brooding after she got a drink as she went silkie galloping off into the big chicken yard to go chase grasshoppers with the other chickens. I guess we will see if she is sitting again when I go close up tonight. I won't mind if I break her from brooding. I also have a RIR that has been broody for a long time. I am hoping she breaks soon. I would give her chicks, but I really don't trust day olds in the pen with a bunch of rowdy "teenage" chickens (3 months and under) and pushy ducks. Not to mention my farm cats would probably get in the pen and eat them right up. And I really don't have another pen to put her in right now.
Sounds like you have a great plan! Hah mine is similar! Forgot there was food and water then forgot there were eggs when I annoyed her enough 😂🤣🙈 finally managed to get her back though lol

Dare I ask how many eggs that makes this year? 🤣

If you are comfy doing so And have read the articles on assisted hatching, I don't see why you couldn't take a peek into the air cells. Just the air cells and only a small peek to see if there is life.
On my last hatch I had two late eggs, one was stuck and did need assistance and the other was DIS. I'm glad I checked because it saved the cutest chick in the whole hatch, but I am comfortable doing so.

I've filled the 42 egg incubator at least 4 times and have enough eggs to fill it 1 more time.

Worst batch of shipped eggs Ever. 😥 sent 16.
2 if I can think of Someway to repair shell...
Took auto turner out set near bator, have 8 uncracked large side up.
Cracked ones look, scrambled In shell. 😰
Yet, still Life may find a way 🤔 (???) 20200630_220127.jpg

Yet, still Life may find a way 🤔 (???)View attachment 2221101

Sorry about your eggs. I know how it feels. I patch my cracked ones with candle wax. Have had a couple make it all the way to hatch.

Yet, still Life may find a way 🤔 (???)View attachment 2221101
I have three incubators, and the foam is my favorite. This turner is a big reason why! :love

Back
Top Bottom