July Hatch-a-Long (including 4th of July hatch-a-long)

How many times per year do you hatch eggs?

• 1-2

Votes: 45 26.3%
  • 2-3

Votes: 18 10.5%
  • 3-4

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • 4-5

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I don’t count the times

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Hatchaholic

Votes: 59 34.5%

• Total voters
Pics
:lau :gig :lau I’m dead!!! I’ll mark them tonight. It’s been raining/storming all day. Hopefully there aren’t too many new eggs under there lol
I just let mine continue to lay where the broodies were and then when chicks started to hatch, I took the unhatched eggs and put them in the bator. I gave the broodies a couple chicks each and they were off their nests and being moms.

Yes, of course! I am basing it on these plans. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/ms-biddys-cattle-panel-hoop-coop.73755/ We added wheels and aren't doing the nest box for now since it's for boys. Lots of this and that going into it. Will snap some pictures when we get home in a bit.

We had a tarp on it too for a bit, but my goofy birds were terrified when it flapped in the wind and it usually ended in a fight as these guys are so flighty. :wee
Thanks! I'll check it out!

I have three tarped tractors and mine don't seem to mind the flapping but the tarps are pretty securely tied down. Of course they're smaller, so maybe easier to tie down securely.

I just let mine continue to lay where the broodies were and then when chicks started to hatch, I took the unhatched eggs and put them in the bator. I gave the broodies a couple chicks each and they were off their nests and being moms.
That’s a good idea! I only have one broody atm though and don’t wanna brood them myself lol so I think I’m gonna limit her 😂🤣🙈

So, here it is so far! I'm calling it the roo coup since they all gurgle and complain when I go out to see them that they are separated from the ladies. They're probably plotting a takeover, but haven't figured out how to break out yet. Haha

We found most of the roofing and the chicken wire in our barn left by previous owner. It's probably cost us less than $200 including $50 for the wheels. I will definitely be building more. Hopefully with hardware cloth! We're relying heavily on the electric fence for now.

View attachment 2222232View attachment 2222233View attachment 2222234View attachment 2222236View attachment 2222239
View attachment 2222241
View attachment 2222242View attachment 2222244
Thanks so much for posting this. That looks great! I've gotta go work on fences now, but I'm looking forward to reading the article as well. ❤️

Meet Yuudachi. Born on the 1st of july.
Got home and found it had partially obscured its pipes and was kind of stuck. So I gave a quick helping hand and got it out.
20200701_165821.jpg

Thanks! I'll check it out!

I have three tarped tractors and mine don't seem to mind the flapping but the tarps are pretty securely tied down. Of course they're smaller, so maybe easier to tie down securely.
Thanks so much for posting this. That looks great! I've gotta go work on fences now, but I'm looking forward to reading the article as well. ❤
You're welcome and thanks! I'm sure there are better ways to tarp than we did. Happy fencing!

Okay, went and checked on Freckles and started labeling the eggs one by one until I couldn’t find any more so I just picked her up, moved her over a bit and labeled the rest then put her back lmao the whole time she just settled on the new spot I put her 😂🤣😂😍

So she now has stolen 3 more 😂🤣:th

She has 7 total now. 3 White Leghorn eggs, 3 Easter Egger eggs, and one brown one who I’m not sure who it’s from. :oops: I think 2 of the EE are from one hen and the new one is from a different one but I’m not entirely sure. If there are any more laid today I’ll let her have them lol

I just labeled them all with today’s date. :oops: maybe bad, I know but because so many look the same, I couldn’t tell which ones were which date. I did mark in my phone though that she started the other day lol so we’ll see. Now we just wait.

Back
Top Bottom