July Hatch-a-Long (including 4th of July hatch-a-long)

How many times per year do you hatch eggs?

• 1-2

Votes: 45 26.3%
  • 2-3

Votes: 18 10.5%
  • 3-4

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • 4-5

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I don’t count the times

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Hatchaholic

Votes: 59 34.5%

• Total voters
Not sure if I should post this here or in another area, but since there's so many experienced hatchers here, this is where I'm gonna start.

I have another very late Delaware chick hatch. It piped almost 2 days ago. This morning, it was still struggling, and on closer inspection I noticed it's was very dry. I had increased the humidity yesterday to almost 80%, but today it was clear that it couldn't break free.
I also put some coconut oil on the dry pieces of egg stuck to her. Now she's free of the shell, and I left her alone.
WE went on a car trip, we were gone about 3 hours. Gave her some nutra-drench with a dropper before we left. She drank about 3 or 4 drops. She's more lively now, but both of her feet have curled toes. She's also not drying off properly, because of the coconut oil I used to help the dried shell unstick from her down.
Here's my question.
Since she's 2 days old now, I think I only have about a day before she should be eating. I don't dare take her out of the incubator for long, because her down is not drying out and getting her fluffy at all. I need to tape her toes on both feet too.
My only source of warmth for her is the Eco-Glow in the coop, where all the other chicks are....doing fine. Any suggestions? Tape her toes, and keep her in the incubator for a couple days? Put some food and water in with her? how long will it take for that oil to dry out and allow her to fluff? She's not saturated, but it's clearly on a good part of her body, since so much was stuck to her poor little body. Any suggestions would be most welcome.
Oh, about the nutra-drench, she doesn't take it too willingly, but seems to get some when I place a drop on the side of her beak.
Thanks for any help.

Not sure if I should post this here or in another area, but since there's so many experienced hatchers here, this is where I'm gonna start.

I have another very late Delaware chick hatch. It piped almost 2 days ago. This morning, it was still struggling, and on closer inspection I noticed it's was very dry. I had increased the humidity yesterday to almost 80%, but today it was clear that it couldn't break free.
I also put some coconut oil on the dry pieces of egg stuck to her. Now she's free of the shell, and I left her alone.
WE went on a car trip, we were gone about 3 hours. Gave her some nutra-drench with a dropper before we left. She drank about 3 or 4 drops. She's more lively now, but both of her feet have curled toes. She's also not drying off properly, because of the coconut oil I used to help the dried shell unstick from her down.
Here's my question.
Since she's 2 days old now, I think I only have about a day before she should be eating. I don't dare take her out of the incubator for long, because her down is not drying out and getting her fluffy at all. I need to tape her toes on both feet too.
My only source of warmth for her is the Eco-Glow in the coop, where all the other chicks are....doing fine. Any suggestions? Tape her toes, and keep her in the incubator for a couple days? Put some food and water in with her? how long will it take for that oil to dry out and allow her to fluff? She's not saturated, but it's clearly on a good part of her body, since so much was stuck to her poor little body. Any suggestions would be most welcome.
Oh, about the nutra-drench, she doesn't take it too willingly, but seems to get some when I place a drop on the side of her beak.
Thanks for any help.

Personally I would take her out, make some little chick shoes and allow her access to food any water. She should be warm enough under the heat plate and moving around with the other chicks will rub the oil off faster too.

Personally I would take her out, make some little chick shoes and allow her access to food any water. She should be warm enough under the heat plate and moving around with the other chicks will rub the oil off faster too.

That sounds good to me, but I have just one more concern about that. This is a tiny little thing. Not a bantam size or anything, but I'm really concerned she's gonna get picked on. Especially with taped toes. Add the fact that she's tiny and on the weak side....unable to walk well, unless the tape will help her a lot, she's gonna be at a distinct disadvantage if a bunch of chicks get to curious pecking.

That sounds good to me, but I have just one more concern about that. This is a tiny little thing. Not a bantam size or anything, but I'm really concerned she's gonna get picked on. Especially with taped toes. Add the fact that she's tiny and on the weak side....unable to walk well, unless the tape will help her a lot, she's gonna be at a distinct disadvantage if a bunch of chicks get to curious pecking.

I would set up a separate brooder for the little one until it gets it's strength up if that's an option? Or monitor if you're concerned but if the others are only 2 days old I don't anticipate you having terrible issues. Every hatch is different but one thing I love about the heat plate is that they don't really seem to bother each other when they're under it so the chick would have somewhere to go to.

I would set up a separate brooder for the little one until it gets it's strength up if that's an option? Or monitor if you're concerned but if the others are only 2 days old I don't anticipate you having terrible issues. Every hatch is different but one thing I love about the heat plate is that they don't really seem to bother each other when they're under it so the chick would have somewhere to go to.

Thank you.
I went ahead and put her under the eco-glow. All the other chicks were on the other side of the coop, exploring and scratching happily. One other did go under with her, and I observed just what you said. Didn't peck or bother her at all. I had a hunch that there's not a whole lot of fighting under there. It's still daylight here, but not for long. It won't be long before everyone goes under it and keeps her company. In the morning I will go out again and make sure she's alright, and I'm going to make sure she gets more Nutra-Drench.
I put a tiny pinch of chick food by her and she pecked at that. I'm thinking...and praying she will be just fine.

I sure have gone through some stress with my first hatch. But she's the last chick in this hatch, and I'm very happy with my new babies. Now if they just all live happily ever after, that'll be great. :thumbsup

20200712_085945.jpg
Well when I got home this morning I had another 8 that hatched, so that's 12 out of 14.They started hatching before I could remove the turner so they are all asleep this morning.
I got my first female chick from my lavender Orpington rooster and barred rock hen, so is she a blue orpington or a Plymouth blue rock?
20200712_185943.jpg

Sorry such bad picture, I'll try to get a better one

Last edited:
I have a pip this morning in two of the remaining WH duck eggs my broodies had in their nest. After them, I just have two incubating eggs remaining that are also ducks of an unknown type. They are blue/green and were in eggs that I bought to eat while my girls are on strike and decided to try hatching a few. That's how long the ducks have been broody. Ugh... lol

From those of you who have had broody ducks, how long should I expect them to stick with this? They started a bit probably 2 months ago. Their eggs have hatched, which they tried to kill, and I am wrapping up stragglers in the incubator. They've been moved out to pasture far from the nest for over a week now, I think. They are still doing their broody quack when I come anywhere near them. lol

The chicken that was broody gave up after a few days of me picking her up out of the nest and placing her in the run. I hope the ducks get back to laying soon and am not sure if I should be doing something else to help them get back to living their best life. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom